Thread: LCD TV power board replacement: Good Idea, or Bad Idea?

LCD TV power board replacement: Good Idea, or Bad Idea?

Hi,

The 'rents have a 46" Samsung LCD TV that's about 2.5 years old. It's recently started having some display issues which, after some troubleshooting and research, seem to have to do with a problem in the power board that is a known issue with several Samsung LCD TV models of its generation. The cheapest DIY fix seems to be to clip a jumper wire on the power board, but my Dad won't OK that option. Looking at the components, it seems to me like swapping the power board out is no different in principle than swapping out a sound or video card in a PC; unplug cables, loosen screws, detach clips, replace board, reverse steps 1-3 in descending order.

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:-
    https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewto...?f=6&t=1208773
    Creative video services

Thanks!

my thoughts:

had a tv that stopped displaying the image. audio was fine. did some internet research and pretty sure i figured out what was wrong. i don't remember what the brand was tho, or the issue, cuz i decided to just get a new tv. might have been LG...

anyway, the piece inside the tv that needed to be replaced should have had some noticeable damage/change to it. it did not. the replacement part was much cheaper than a new tv but the shipping time was not convenient. 2-3 weeks i think. probably easy to find a store that carries tv parts but again not super convenient.

a combination of waiting for the part to arrive with no guarantee that it would be the fix i needed is what made me decide to drop the fix and just get a new tv.

a simple and fast solution.

i will say that opening the tv was very simple tho and switching parts out seemed to be a very simple thing to do too but that probably just depends on the tv and what it is you're trying to do.

tvs are fairly cheap right now. might be able to get a 46"upgrade at a decent price. think the part i was needing was $60?

also,

hello

and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by depprussell View Post
    Hi,

The 'rents have a 46" Samsung LCD TV that's about 2.5 years old. It's recently started having some display issues which, after some troubleshooting and research, seem to have to do with a problem in the power board that is a known issue with several Samsung LCD TV models of its generation. The cheapest DIY fix seems to be to clip a jumper wire on the power board, but my Dad won't OK that option. Looking at the components, it seems to me like swapping the power board out is no different in principle than swapping out a sound or video card in a PC; unplug cables, loosen screws, detach clips, replace board, reverse steps 1-3 in descending order.

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:-
    https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewto...?f=6&t=1208773
    Creative video services

Thanks!
    Samsung TVs are terrible for this sort of thing, and repairs often don’t hold for long. Serious advice, get a replacement set, If all they want is 1080p, go with RCA, not even joking, their current HD sets are great for very low prices, I got one for my daughter and one for the master suite in my house and they are seriously almost as good as my Sony in my main setup.

Oh, this isn't spam.