Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Steve Ditko RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Newt Cox View Post
    I got mixed feelings on this. I mean I believe Dikto helped co-create Spidey and Dr Strange. But I also know with what Ditko believed he wouldn't sue to get the rights back.
    I remember Ditko being one of the industry vets who were calling out Todd McFarlane for being a bitch for his whining about creating Venom as a work for hire and then crying when Marvel didn’t cut him in on the profits, so I really don’t think he’d approve of this suit.

I don't think it's a coincidence that this is happening after his passing. At the same time, his estate should get something?
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    I don't think it's a coincidence that this is happening after his passing. At the same time, his estate should get something?
    Work for hire is work for hire. If anyone deserved a cut, it would have been Ditko himself, fuck his heirs for trying to profit off work he was paid for long ago, under terms he agreed to and continued to defend long after. If his heirs want to make some money, they can create something themselves.

Rumor is the first Dr Strange story was written and drawn by Ditko with Lee only adding the dialogue. So on that one I see where they might have a case.

Quote Originally Posted by Newt Cox View Post
    Rumor is the first Dr Strange story was written and drawn by Ditko with Lee only adding the dialogue. So on that one I see where they might have a case.
    Not exactly a rumor. Lee actually said in one of his soapboxs that ran in the comics back then that Ditko created DR. STRANGE. One of the few times that Lee didn't take credit for creating a character.