Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: video camera question

video camera question

just upgraded to a Sony FDR-AX53.

figured out how to put files on my tablet. not in 4k tho. might just be cuz i have a kindle fire.

anyway, going to ride down to the tunnel today to play with it. trying to see if i can do a bit more down there. practice stuff. would like to upload stuff to youtube tho for fun.

is there anything i need to do before uploading files? just going to be recording in HD for now. no 4k. i'll try that out later

i tried a few tests earlier and it seemed like a straight upload of the original file worked fine. should i stick with that or is there a way that would improve the end result?

i tried putting the clip into a video editor and it increased the file size but the quality seemed a bit less.

also tried format conversion that left the file size very close to the original and the same quality.

original

video editor

format conversion

probably going to start bringing things with me down there cuz i'm enjoying what the tunnel has to offer. still learning things but i'm trying to go a bit farther in the video direction. the videos are just practice but i'd still like them to look good.

any help/ideas will be much appreciated!

i guess they all look the same

Anything I've ever uploaded to Youtube I've just done 'as is' aside from some editing. But in terms of file size and that type of thing I've never changed anything from the raw files.

That said, I am by no means an expert.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

More about the dog, please.

Youtube I believe trans codes everything to MPEG4 and it does a pretty job of it so you really just want to be uploading the best quality you can at the smallest file size. I just did a quick google on your camera and it said that your camera can dial record in two formats. One for editing and MPEG 4 for a small easy to upload version. Just upload the MPEG 4.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

i have done cut and paste stuff with the editor but outside of that i leave everything "as is" too, Ian.

the dachsund is Buddy. he's a pretty funny guy! might put some more vids up later. sometime i call him Shovel.

hey, Dom! i like your pictures. i'm kinda just getting into photo/video stuff so i still have a lot of learning to do. i did know about the Dual Recording but i did not use it. also, i guess my understanding of what it actually did was incorrect. yesterday was the first day i really got to play with the video camera. so far i'm pretty impressed. only recorded in HD but the light i had worked really well in the tunnel. the tunnel looked pretty good. didn't really even need my headlamp.

going to hold off on bringing things down there until i get a better feel of what i can and can't do with the video camera

Quote Originally Posted by JLG View Post
    i have done cut and paste stuff with the editor but outside of that i leave everything "as is" too, Ian.

the dachsund is Buddy. he's a pretty funny guy! might put some more vids up later. sometime i call him Shovel.

hey, Dom! i like your pictures. i'm kinda just getting into photo/video stuff so i still have a lot of learning to do. i did know about the Dual Recording but i did not use it. also, i guess my understanding of what it actually did was incorrect. yesterday was the first day i really got to play with the video camera. so far i'm pretty impressed. only recorded in HD but the light i had worked really well in the tunnel. the tunnel looked pretty good. didn't really even need my headlamp.

going to hold off on bringing things down there until i get a better feel of what i can and can't do with the video camera

I love dachshund videos!

Looks like you got it worked out JLG but for anyone else playing along at home I'd suggest this- bearing in mind that it's a while since I've done video encoding so information could be out of date. Gordian Knot. It just worked. It made everything super small so it could be uploaded easily but maintained qulaity in a way nothing else did. I got better results for making web sized versions of videos with this freeware than any professional video encoder going (and I think I've owned all of them at one point or another). Anyway just looking it up I see it's still a free download: https://sourceforge.net/projects/gordianknot/
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    Looks like you got it worked out JLG but for anyone else playing along at home I'd suggest this- bearing in mind that it's a while since I've done video encoding so information could be out of date. Gordian Knot. It just worked. It made everything super small so it could be uploaded easily but maintained qulaity in a way nothing else did. I got better results for making web sized versions of videos with this freeware than any professional video encoder going (and I think I've owned all of them at one point or another). Anyway just looking it up I see it's still a free download: https://sourceforge.net/projects/gordianknot/
    thanks for the heads up! i might check that out after i see what the dual recording does. have a converter to get videos to the kindle. it does shrink file size too but
    i might need to investigate the Gordian Knot if those don't float my boat