Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neil Blomkamp To Direct New Robocop Movie

Neil Blomkamp To Direct New Robocop Movie

Reportedly based on an unmade sequel to the original..

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/07/ne...ns-1201983089/

“District 9” and “Elysium” director Neill Blomkamp has signed on to direct MGM’s “RoboCop Returns,” a sequel to Paul Verhoeven’s 1987 cyberpunk classic (via Deadline). Original screenwriters Edward Neumeier and Michael Miner are producing the movie, which will be based on their original spec script for a sequel to Verhoeven’s film that never got made. Justin Rhodes, a co-writer on Tim Miller’s upcoming “Terminator” sequel, is rewriting the script.

“RoboCop” starred Peter Weller as an injured cop who is turned into a cyborg law enforcement officer programmed to wipe out crime in the Detroit area. The cop’s memories of his human life resurface and cause a malfunction with his new technology. MGM tried to reboot “RoboCop” in 2014 with director Jose Padilha and star Joel Kinnaman but the film disappointed at the domestic box office.

More at the link.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Huh. I guess this will be RoboCop: Corporate Wars? Here is the RoboCop Archive's section on Corporate Wars

kinda think Neill Blomkamp could do a good Robocop.

Robocop should not be PG-13 tho

Quote Originally Posted by JLG View Post
    Robocop should not be PG-13 tho
    Agreed, the last two movies and TV series have shown that Robocop doesn't work when diluted. I'm hoping this is more District 9 than Chappie, and the social commentary not as obvious as Elysium. That is if the studio leaves any social commentary in it.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Quote Originally Posted by agent999 View Post
    Agreed, the last two movies and TV series have shown that Robocop doesn't work when diluted. I'm hoping this is more District 9 than Chappie, and the social commentary not as obvious as Elysium. That is if the studio leaves any social commentary in it.
    Nah, to hide Blomkamp’s hackery they absolutely need Die Antwoort cast as Murphy and Lewis!

As long as Sharlto Copley doesn't play Murphy: 'Oi, Boykie, put down yer weapon'.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

He says he's going for an R rating on this one.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...-will-rated-r/
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I am glad they are totally ignoring the horrible remake from a few years ago.

But this is still totally unneeded. Why do they keep on doing this? I mean, none of these sequel/remakes of classics are good or profitable. (Total Recall, Robocop, Terminator with C. Bale, Miami Vice, etc etc etc )
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Silly Swede View Post
    I am glad they are totally ignoring the horrible remake from a few years ago.

But this is still totally unneeded. Why do they keep on doing this? I mean, none of these sequel/remakes of classics are good or profitable. (Total Recall, Robocop, Terminator with C. Bale, Miami Vice, etc etc etc )
    Miami Vice was a very good movie and it turned a profit.