Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Candyman Coming To Blu-ray

Candyman Coming To Blu-ray

Assuming this listing is correct.

Dare you say his name five times? From the chilling imagination of horror master Clive Barker (Hellraiser, Nightbreed), comes Candyman arguably one of the greatest horror movies of the 1990s, now newly restored on Blu-ray.

When grad student Helen Lyle (Virginia Madsen) begins working on a thesis looking at urban legends, she encounters the tale of the Candyman the vengeful spirit of a hook-handed slave, who, it is said, can be summoned by saying his name five times in the mirror. As her research leads her into the bowels of Chicago s deprived housing projects and deeper into the Candyman s world, Helen learns that some legends are best left alone...

Expertly directed by British filmmaker Bernard Rose and boasting an astounding score by composer Philip Glass, Candyman ingeniously reworks Clive Barker s original short story The Forbidden (originally published as part of his Books of Blood collection) into a modern horror parable that remains as timely today as ever.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
    Brand new 2K restoration of the film from the original negative and supervised and approved by writer-director Bernard Rose and director of photography Anthony B. Richmond
    5.1 DTS-HD MA and Original Uncompressed Stereo 2.0 Audio
    Optional English subtitles
    Exclusive packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin
    6 Lobby Card reproductions
    Reversible fold-out poster featuring two artworks
    Fully illustrated collector s booklet featuring new writing on the film by festival programmer Michael Blyth
    Limited Edition perfect-bound booklet reproducing the original hand-painted storyboards by Bernard Rose
    Brand new audio commentary with writer-director Bernard Rose and actor Tony Todd
    Brand new audio commentary with Stephen Jones and Kim Newman
    Be My Victim a brand new interview with Tony Todd
    It Was Always You, Helen a brand new interview with Virginia Madsen
    The Writing on the Wall: The Production Design of Candyman a brand new interview with production designer Jane Ann Stewart
    Forbidden Flesh: The Makeup FX of Candyman brand new interviews with special makeup effects artists Bob Keen, Gary J. Tunnicliffe and Mark Coulier
    A Story to Tell: Clive Barker s The Forbidden writer Douglas E. Winter on Clive Barker s seminal Books of Blood and Candyman s source story, The Forbidden
    Urban Legend: Unwrapping Candyman a critical analysis of the film with writers Tananarive Due and Steven Barnes
    Theatrical Trailer
    Three rarely-seen Bernard Rose short films, newly restored in HD: Looking at Alice (30 mins, 1978), A Bomb With No Name on It (3 mins, 1976), The Wreckers (5 mins)
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Name:  Dh_bBJvWAAE85Zg.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  38.3 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    This is one of my favourite horror films of the 90's, despite a rather weak last act. The ambience of the film is so bleak and cold, and is aided by the brilliant score. Too bad the uncut murder scene has been lost from the OCN elements, but I hope Arrow can splice it in from a lesser source (I believe it's just a few seconds).
    Looking for Orozco the Embalmer (Camera Obscura) and the Swedish theatrical poster of Breaking Point (Vibenius/"Ron Silberman Jr.", 1975).

I never heard of an uncut murder scene. I am a defender of Part 2 Farewell To the Flesh as well.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    I never heard of an uncut murder scene. I am a defender of Part 2 Farewell To the Flesh as well.
    My old UK VHS has the uncut psychiatrist murder scene. It has a bit more blood squirting. It's not much but very noticeable when I watch the current Blu Ray.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

I found the whole Cabrini-Green setting to be disturbing as hell. What an awesome film.

It's a good horror film but the Michigan J. Frog element kind of annoys me. I like the 2nd one more as blasphemous as it may sound.

I love Michigan J. Frog and am dying to know what comparison you're making, although Candyman singing "I'm just wild about Harry" would be awesome.

Well, it's like that old Michigan J. Frog cartoon in that our protagonist tries to convince everyone the Candyman (a stand in for the Frog) is real when it's clear to us the audience that he's real. It just reminds me of that cartoon.

Oh, okay.