Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shameless

Shameless

Only a few episodes into this but it's pretty funny. William H. Macy is great in it, he plays a surly drunk well. It's a lot raunchier than I figured it would be but the family dynamic is handled well.

Anyone else check this out? I realize we're late to the party as the series is like a decade old but it's on Netflix now.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I watched the first couple of series of the original UK version, but it went on forever so I got tired of it. Never felt compelled to check out the US version, but if it's on UK Netflix I might try it out as I'm constantly trying to find some reason to keep subscribing. It's certainly not their library of films.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

I loved this show. When someone here asked for the best series of the last decade, I had this as one of them. Macy was great and they rarely tried to "humanize" him as often happens for long running series. Just one more season left, not sure when it will appear (or even if it was filmed before the lockdowns).

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wood View Post
    Macy was great and they rarely tried to "humanize" him as often happens for long running series.
    We're only 5 episodes in but I've noticed this and it's a big part of what makes the show interesting. People really are crazy assholes!
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Jesus, I see they even cast a look-alike to play the Fiona character. I don't think this is quite as outrageous as the UK version, but I haven't seen it in over a decade so perhaps I'm mis-remembering. It also loses something not being set on a council estate (think Projects), although maybe I'm just more familiar with that (not that I regularly visit them).

Still, it's entertaining enough to have on in the background when working on the same mind numbing shit that I've been doing for the last nine years.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

One of my favorite shows.

I'm all caught up. I love it, but I thought that the Fiona character ends up being the weakest in the series. It gets batshitter crazi....er as it goes on. I tried to watch the UK series after the fact, but couldn't get into it.

The newest season I didnt really miss Fiona.

Quote Originally Posted by Newt Cox View Post
    The newest season I didnt really miss Fiona.
    Especially because Carl steps up hahaha.

One of the weirdest TV moments of the past 20 years was seeing Pauline McLynn (Mrs Doyle from FATHER TED) in some quite graphic sex scenes in SHAMELESS (the original UK version).
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard