Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Movies you can download to own

There are many people who live in places where downloading a 4K movie just isn't a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    There are many people who live in places where downloading a 4K movie just isn't a possibility.
    Not only that but lots of ISPs are adding strict data caps. The main ISP in my area just recently added a 1 gig data cap to their internet service. Mostly cause they are owned by the cable company and I bet got tired people dropping the shitty local cable and going to streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by The Silly Swede View Post
    I don't trust hard drives, and I never will.

These days when you go to the cinema to watch a film that is not actually what you are doing. The "film" arrives at the cinema as a digital file on a hard drive or as a download. Film is finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith H View Post
    These days when you go to the cinema to watch a film that is not actually what you are doing. The "film" arrives at the cinema as a digital file on a hard drive or as a download. Film is finished.
    Oh I know. I watch films streamed and VODed all the time, and Im glad you can watch a film after a few weeks in the cinema without scratches etc.

Im talking about storage for a longer period of time. I do simply not trust anything that is constantly used to remain operational for any extended period of time. And dont even get me started on the older HDDs with moving parts. Those were made to disintegrate. SSDs are better, as they are solid, but as I said. Anything that is used, will eventually break.

Therefore I prefer to keep my films on discs that are only used when viewed.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Swede: I understand your personal disdain, but ... I've been capturing/collecting digital media for 20+ years at this point. For instance, I still have movie trailers from the 90's (mainly from the Apple trailers site, but others as well) that were never released elsewhere or are alternate versions. Point being: if you take precautions, breakage doesn't mean loss. I've got two backups of my NAS, so even WHEN the RAID barfs, I can still get the data back. Having said that, I've not had a catastrophic failure in more than 10 years, and that was pre-NAS. Hooray for the ability to build/buy a home NAS for a reasonable price.

For me, it's about convenience. I too love the collection of physical media. I still have almost every DVD/Blu I've ever bought. I rarely, however, actually pull the discs out. I *despise* having to sit through forced warnings, ads, and studio logos for, at minimum, 60 - 90 seconds before I can even get to the menu to select what I wanted to watch in the first place. Silly as it may sound, that was the primary reason for me starting to make personal copies. Now? 5+ TB spinning, and I can watch (almost) anything from my collection in a matter of seconds, and I still have the disc if I want to watch with uncompressed audio, etc.