Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Essential Shot On Video Horror Movies

One of the funniest I've seen is Ron Atkins' SCHIZOPHRENIAC: THE WHORE MANGLER from 1997. It's a mean-spirited black comedy that has a great lead performance from John Giancaspro. He's like a completely deranged insult comic who kills hookers and anyone else that bothers him. He was probably on coke the entire time. The sequel NECROMANIAC is almost unwatchable. It's more of the same, but cranked up to a headache-inducing level. It's also way too long. The third in the series, THE CUCKOO CLOCKS OF HELL, is truly offensive. It's extremely racist, and it almost seems at times like a neo-Nazi recruitment video. I was embarrassed watching it. It stars Jim Van Bebber as Terry Hawkins (the character from LAST HOUSE ON DEAD END STREET) joining Giancaspro on his rampage. The plot is just an excuse to have endless scenes of the pair spewing racist dialogue at every conceivable minority (mostly blacks). It's sad to see Van Bebber (who's obviously very drunk) reduced to a pathetic appearance in a piece of junk like this.

On the topic of Van Bebber, he also provided some amazing FX for a completely forgotten SOV horror flick from 1998 called ZOMBIE CULT MASSACRE. It's an ambitious, action-packed flick about a Jim Jones-type cult whose compound is overrun by the living dead. It's been over 10 years since I've seen it, but I remember it stood out amongst all of the other SOV stuff being released at the time. I think it was only ever released on VHS.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    On the topic of Van Bebber, he also provided some amazing FX for a completely forgotten SOV horror flick from 1998 called ZOMBIE CULT MASSACRE. It's an ambitious, action-packed flick about a Jim Jones-type cult whose compound is overrun by the living dead. It's been over 10 years since I've seen it, but I remember it stood out amongst all of the other SOV stuff being released at the time. I think it was only ever released on VHS.
    ZOMBIE CULT MASSACRE was released by Sub Rosa on DVD back in 2004.

http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Cult-Ma...+cult+massacre

Ok figure this is the right thread to ask.Since I am getting the DVD release of Splatter Farm for X-mas,what all is missing from this release that was in the old VHS release?

From the IMDB:

"Just a heads up to everyone out there, the recent "director's cut" version released by Camp motion pictures is heavily edited and is missing almost every subversive scene in the movie. The Polonia Brothers did this new edit themselves so no fault to the folks at Camp. The trimmed or altogether missing scenes include the knife in the toilet nightmare scene, the rape scene, the fist up the butt,& all the full-frontal male nudity, not to mention random scenes of the brothers smoking cigarettes. Alot of the reasons why this over the top movie has had such a long cult following in the first place are now gone. Try hunting down the rare vhs release on Donna Michele video. "

And based on my memory, that's pretty accurate.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    From the IMDB:

"Just a heads up to everyone out there, the recent "director's cut" version released by Camp motion pictures is heavily edited and is missing almost every subversive scene in the movie. The Polonia Brothers did this new edit themselves so no fault to the folks at Camp. The trimmed or altogether missing scenes include the knife in the toilet nightmare scene, the rape scene, the fist up the butt,& all the full-frontal male nudity, not to mention random scenes of the brothers smoking cigarettes. Alot of the reasons why this over the top movie has had such a long cult following in the first place are now gone. Try hunting down the rare vhs release on Donna Michele video. "

And based on my memory, that's pretty accurate.
    Damn well I guess it is good the DVD was extremely cheap. Now time to track down a copy of the VHS release.

Quote Originally Posted by Newt Cox View Post
    Damn well I guess it is good the DVD was extremely cheap. Now time to track down a copy of the VHS release.
    Hope you have deep pockets. One just sold on eBay for over $400.

Another scene missing on the DVD from the original version is a scene involving child murder. Obviously cut from the new release as they didn't have releases from anyone from the initial shooting, and didn't want it coming back on them.

The Camp DVD is still totally worth every penny. Great commentary track, a behind the scenes feature, and several 8mm shorts with commentary from the bros. Honestly, if you didn't know about all the cuts, you probably wouldn't notice them, but you may wonder why exactly the movie has such a reputation....

Now that I've derailed the thread with Polonia Brothers DVD reviews, let me suggest some essential SOV flicks;

GORE WHORE: Seriously can't get enough of this one. Ultra sleaze at its finest. Fun plot, graphic gore, and even more graphic nudity. I'm anxiously awaiting the new Sub Rosa release.

CANNIBAL HOOKERS: Yeah I know, this one is terrible. But it's also just insanely watchable. Maybe it's the abundance of 80's "style" and Sunset Blvd locations (gotta love a scene shot at Hollywood Book & Poster), but I could watch this anytime. Like all good Donald Farmer movies, the under an hour runtime certainly helps.

LAS VEGAS BLOODBATH: An insane first fifteen minutes or so, followed by an excruciating exercise in tedium for another thirty, followed by an insane ending. Which scene is more disgusting, the removal and smashing of a "fetus", or an extremely pregnant woman eating donuts and sloppily drinking milk? You decide....

DOCTOR BLOODBATH: Nick Millard is a special man. Taking place mostly in his house (or his mom's house? Who knows) this is misanthropic moviemaking at its apex. If you like movies where things happen, this may not be for you. If you like hard cuts between ambient noises and hearing someone holding down the zoom button on the camcorder, you're in luck.

Many people have discussed stuff like BOARDINGHOUSE, SLEDGEHAMMER, and BLACK DEVIL DOLL FROM HELL/TALES FROM THE QUADEAD ZONE at greater lengths, but that doesn't make them any less essential.

A big part of my enjoyment of SOV movies is the "home movie" quality of them, so even if a movies plot isn't that intriguing, the movies' existence alone will usually pull me though, even if it can sometimes be a bit tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbeast View Post
    LAS VEGAS BLOODBATH: An insane first fifteen minutes or so, followed by an excruciating exercise in tedium for another thirty, followed by an insane ending. Which scene is more disgusting, the removal and smashing of a "fetus", or an extremely pregnant woman eating donuts and sloppily drinking milk? You decide....
    Haha, this one has its own thread somewhere on the board and yeah, it's amazing. I had no trouble with the tedious thirty minute stretch though because even in those scenes where not much is happening, the lead actor is still ranting and raving and saying dumb shit. But yeah, once the home invasion starts it goes to a whole new level of crazy.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbeast View Post
    DOCTOR BLOODBATH: Nick Millard is a special man. Taking place mostly in his house (or his mom's house? Who knows) this is misanthropic moviemaking at its apex. If you like movies where things happen, this may not be for you. If you like hard cuts between ambient noises and hearing someone holding down the zoom button on the camcorder, you're in luck.
    I hope Slasher Video or Massacre releases this and more Millard in the future. Watching DEATH NURSE and DEATH NURSE II back-to-back earlier this year was a wonderful experience. I wasn't too impressed with CEMETERY SISTERS or SATAN'S BLACK WEDDING, but I'll certainly watch them both again.

Holy shit. Thanks to the SRS Holiday Sale, I got a copy of BRIDE OF FRANK. As someone who considers himself an SOV connoisseur (a dubious aspiration), I can't believe I've missed out on this one. This is instantly on my essential SOV list. Demented, batshit insane, call it what you will, but it's definitely singular. It's apparent that a lot of effort was put into this for something that probably cost less than one of them new fangled iphones. There's actually a fair amount of interesting shots and creative camera work framing the constant barrage of some of the most amazing non actors I've ever witnessed. Absolute madness from beginning to end.

In some ways, I'm kind of surprised this didn't end up with a Troma release. It has constant gore, profanity, and fart jokes! Troma prerequisites aplenty! Fortunately, this flick retains its charm longer than most 90's Troma pick ups.

If IMDB comments are to be believed, the director has since died, this being his only movie. Bummer.

BRIDE OF FRANK is everything I love about SOV. Plots no normal movie would touch, outrageous gore, a complete lack of "professional" actors, and most importantly, that unmistakable enthusiasm of people making movies because they love movies; profits, popularity, and professionalism be damned.

Anyone with an interest in SOV insanity should dig this one.

The Bride of Frank is great. It's a 90's John Waters homage. Fun flick that kinda' peters out by the end. Too bad the director died a couple of years back.
    Last edited by Alex K.; 12-09-2015 at 01:24 AM.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.