Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 31 days of Horror part 4: Citizens on Patrol

Day 10: The Vampire Bat
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Day 10: Lolita Vibrator Torture

I saw this years ago and was wondering if it's as upsetting as I remembered it being. Turns out that it is. Hisayasu Sato's films really deserve proper restored releases, though I can't imagine that happening any time soon.

ANOTHER WOLFCOP - Superior sequel to the pretty mediocre original that opens with an amazing homage to ROBOCOP (featuring the guys from Astron-6 as the villains) and just gets crazier as it goes along. There's an incredible, surreal sequence that takes place in a strip club that is certainly one of my favourites of the year. There's also a really disturbing sex scene with Gowan's "Strange Animal" playing in the background. I also appreciated the lean running time of only 73 minutes (excluding end credits).

Title-Horrors of Spider Island
    Source-12 Creature Features Mill Creek DVD set

I had seen the creature from this early 60s West German made horror film many times on various Something Weird Video releases. And if this title interest you a lot get their release on DVD. It is loaded as most of their releases are.I on the other hand own the 12 movie Mill Creek Creature feature version. So it is just the same old print every one has used for years.

A semi sleazy night club own wants to fly a bunch of dancers from NYC to his club in Singapore. But during the flight the plane catches on fire,breaks in half ,then crashes but somehow the owner and the women don't die. We see them on a raft and they finally make it to an island.

Exploring the island they find a cabin. Inside is food and a spider web with a dead man hanging from it. Seems a prof has been working with uranium here. After figuring out how long the food will last them,one month I think is what they figure,the owner ends up out in the jungle alone. Gets bit by a giant spider and becomes this human-spider mutant.

Well this was short,80 something minutes,and the creature looked decent for the era. I swear I have seen some of the women in other "films" Something Weird Video has put out on DVD/VHS.

Horrors of Spider Island gets a D+.

Last Friday, I watched THE SLAYER for the first time. Its a good flick with wonderful atmosphere and characters. I didn't enjoy it as much as I should. I wasn't in the right frame of mind for such a slow burn. The kills were impressive. I feel certain I'll dig it more on a rewatch.

It's been a frustratingly busy month and I was jonesing hard for an old school slasher last night. It was a difficult choice with the original Halloween, Halloween 4 and Prom Night in my hands. I landed on Prom Night and it was very satisfying. I enjoyed it much more than my first viewing 9 years ago. I don't usually care for kids in film but I was really drawn in by the opening setup. It was chilling and well shot. It takes a long time for the kills to start but the characters are interesting enough that I didn't mind. While some of the kills are off-screen the gory ones are well done. I love the disco sequence. The disco and Jamie Lee are why I'll likely watch this one again sometime in the next few years.

Yeah, PROM NIGHT has aged well and it's due in no small part to Synapse's restoration.

House on Tombstone Hill AKA Dead Dudes in the House.

I had never seen this before and initially wrote it off as another shit film in Troma's library. An okay slasher/ghost picture with some good gore. At about 20 minutes in it takes a hard right turn that was appreciated. "Lost gem" is a bit much but it's worth checking out.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Title-The Blob(Original 1958)
    Source-MeTV Svengoolie airing

Months back,I think it was in May I saw that Svengoolie was gonna air the original Blob. So I made sure to save that airing on the DVR. I DVR Sven every week. But usually end up just watching his host segments,mostly when it is films I don't care for. Or end up building up 10 or more episodes on the DVR and put them on when I clean the house from top to bottom.

As normal with when Sven airs a film he fills his segments with trivia about the movie.I knew that the lead male was Steve McQueen. But had no clue that the lead female was later Andy's love interest on the Andy Griffith show.

Now I have heard various people talk about how cheesy the original Blob is. And yea it is. But for it's time and being a indy film with a tiny budget it is way better than it should have been. The FX work is decent. But it wasn't until the remake from the late 80s/early 90s that we got to see a fully realized version of what the Blob could do.

Steve McQueen and his gal pal are up on a hilltop watching for shooting stars. They see one,and it turns out to be a meteorite. An old man pokes it with a stick and this glob what appears to be strawberry jelly comes out. And ends up eating the man.

The rest of the film is a 30 year old or older,suppose to be in his late teens,Steve McQueen trying to convince the cops and other adults that something is up. I do wonder why Steve got cast to play a much younger person. He looks like he is in his 30s. But then McQueen always looked about 30,even in his final years.The cops think this is all a prank the local teens are playing. So they do nothing until almost the end of the film.

There is 2 real setpieces in the film. The first is when the Blob attacks a packed theater. It is a bit after midnight and the theater is having a Spook Show!!!. So it is packed with teens and young adults. The Blob comes in thru the vents and attacks. This same theater still exists and will show the Blob once a year as a charity event.

The other big set piece is near the end,people are trapped in a building that the Blob has engulfed. And this is were we learn that the Blob hates the cold.

Honestly if you are under 30 and have already seen the remake skip this movie. It is one of those movies that is very of it's time. And I get the feeling that if McQueen wasn't in the movie it would be another forgotten 50s horror.

For being a lower budget indy film I was shocked at how good the colors looked. The red of the Blob stands out. The FX work is pretty good.With most of the mat lines and forced perspective shots not being super obvious. The acting isn't bad. McQueen of course is the best. But the one really goofy copy is pretty damn good too.

By it''s self the Blob is a average horror film. But add in the skits,songs and trivia that Svengoolie adds and it becomes much better.

The Blob gets a B.

Day 11: Lurkers

Potentially interesting idea, but a botched execution. Roberta Findlay is such a maddeningly inconsistent director. For each atmospheric shot or effective moment there's one marked by blithe incompetence, sometimes cutting quickly between them within a single sequence.

There's enough bonkers left-field imagery in the last half hour that I would probably have fond memories of this if I'd rented it at an impressionable age. As it stands, I don't have as much patience for cheap late '80s horror as I used to.

Day 11: Revolt of the Zombies

Enough with old short movies, I need something more substantial going forward.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.