Thread: Mr. Mercedes - more Stephen King on your telly.

Mr. Mercedes - more Stephen King on your telly.

Stranger Things and Castle Rock seem to get all the attention as faux-King but who has checked out Mr. Mercedes? An actual Stephen King adaptation and a damned good one at that.

The original story was an attempt by King to do a straight detective novel. The old boy can't help himself though and this often spills over into horror. But despite being in very bleak territory- alcoholic, soon to be dead cop chasing a child molestation victim turned killer- it's still a lot of fun. That's mostly thanks to the characterization where even the minor characters are really nicely drawn and all well played. A lot of these guys could easily carry their own series. For instance, there's a sub plot where the killer works at an electronics store outlet with the boss from hell. All those bits are a blast and could easily be a comedy series on their own.

Anyway, so far we only get series one in Australia but I believe in the USA you have access to a couple. Very worth checking out if your scouting for something to watch.

I was wanting to check this out, but the book series went in what I thought was a terrible direction and I didn't want to see that in TV form haha.

I'm looking at the trailers for series 2 and it looks like it suddenly goes wierd and supernatural where the first series was a straight up detective story. Is that what you mean by "terrible direction". Time will tell but I might be up for that.

Yeah, the first one was more straight-up crime novel with a hint of weird. By the time they hit the third one, it was all telepathy and mind-controlling video games, and it just got dumb.