Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filmstruck streaming service shutting down on Nov. 29

Filmstruck streaming service shutting down on Nov. 29

http://www.latimes.com/business/holl...026-story.html

https://twitter.com/FilmStruck

I've never used this streaming service, so I won't miss anything. Any of you have any positive or negative experiences with FS? Are you going to miss it?
    "only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

I'll miss it. There is quite a bit of Criterion that I've wanted to see, but didn't want to purchase so this was a great *legal* option. I probably watched ~30 movies over the last year or so, and bought at least 10 as a direct result.

Not at all surprised that the Death Star killed it, seeing as how it doesn't fit their "maximizing profit" value system.

My lady used it. Not a bad service. But didn't have much she wanted to see.

Criterion is launching its own streaming service next year:
    We are incredibly touched and encouraged by the flood of support we’ve been receiving since the announcement that FilmStruck will be shutting down on November 29, 2018. Our thanks go out to everyone who signed petitions, wrote letters and newspaper articles, and raised your voices to let the world know how much our mission and these movies matter to you.

Well, if you loved the curated programming we’ve been doing with our friends at FilmStruck, we have good news for you. The Criterion Collection team is going to be carrying on with that mission, launching the Criterion Channel as a freestanding service in spring 2019.

We’ve been trying to make something a little different for the past two years—a movie lover’s dream streaming service, with smart thematic programming, where the history of cinema can live and breathe, where a new generation of filmmakers and film lovers can explore the classics or revel in rarities, where adventurous cinephiles can champion films that have never gotten their due, and newcomers can easily find guidance from major filmmakers, top scholars, curators, and other experts from all walks of life.

The Criterion Channel will be picking up where the old service left off, programming director spotlights and actor retrospectives featuring major Hollywood and international classics and hard-to-find discoveries from around the world, complete with special features like commentaries, behind-the-scenes footage, and original documentaries. We will continue with our guest programmer series, Adventures in Moviegoing. Our regular series like Art-House America, Split Screen, and Meet the Filmmakers, and our Ten Minutes or Less section will all live on, along with Tuesday’s Short + Feature and the Friday Night Double Feature, and of course our monthly fifteen-minute film school, Observations on Film Art.
    Our library will also be available through WarnerMedia’s new consumer platform when it launches late next year, so once both services are live, Criterion fans will have even more ways to find the films they love.

We will be starting from scratch, with no subscribers, so we will need all the help we can get. The most valuable thing you can do to help now is go to Criterion.com/channel and sign up to be a Charter Subscriber, then tell your friends to sign up too. We need everyone who was a FilmStruck subscriber or who’s been tweeting and signing petitions and writing letters to come out and to sign up for the new service. We can’t do it without you!

Vortice Mortale - The Lost Highway of Horror and Cult Film

Latest post: Voodoo Passion (Jess Franco, 1977)

Criterion Channel has a launch date: April 8th in the US and Canada
    The Criterion Channel, our new streaming service for movie lovers, will launch April 8 in the U.S. and Canada.

As a Charter Subscriber, you can start watching right now with our Movie of the Week series, featuring a new surprise every Wednesday from now until the official site launch.

We are so grateful to all of you who have signed up to be Charter Subscribers. Now it’s time to make it official and lock in your benefits, including an extended 30-day free trial (starting April 8) and reduced pricing for as long as your account stays active.

Happy viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark View Post
    No one knows why it died either. There's an issue with internet journalism (I use the term loosely) that there's no investigation. It's actually pretty much entirely just reacting to press releases. This article takes the press releases and decides that the failure of filmstruck is due to Warners greed. Which it very well may be. Probably is. If it is I can't get upset about that as they are are not beholden to run a service that's not profitable. But it could also be any number of other things. Bottom line is $9.99 a month for access to The Criterion Collection is a hell of a bargain and I'll be signing on (not available in my country but I have a dedicated firestick with a VPN that I use for all my North American streaming services). Its $30+ for just one of their blus after all.

And I'm pretty excited to see what Warners comes up with. It could well be as underwhelming as the article assumes it will be but ultimately Warners has the greatest library in the world. Probably they won't offer much but the possibilities of what they could do are very exciting.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.
    In preproduction: www.lovesexandrobots.com Shooting March 2020.

Criterion announced the lineup for Criterion Channel's April's launch
    The Criterion Channel launches on April 8, and we’re excited to share our first month’s lineup! The April calendar of thematic programming highlights an eclectic mix of classic and contemporary films from Hollywood and around the world, many not streaming anywhere else.

The new service will host the Criterion Collection and Janus Films’ ever-growing library of more than 1,000 feature films, 350 shorts, and 3,500 supplementary features, including trailers, introductions, behind-the-scenes documentaries, interviews, video essays, commentary tracks, and rare archival footage. It will also feature a constantly refreshed selection of films from a wide array of studio and independent licensors including Sony Pictures, Warner Bros., Paramount Pictures, Metro Goldwyn Mayer (MGM), Lionsgate, IFC Films, Kino Lorber, Cohen Media, Milestone Film and Video, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild, Strand Releasing, Shout Factory, Film Movement, and Grasshopper Films. Additional licensors will be added in the coming months.

Films in the permanent streaming library will be continuously available to all Criterion Channel subscribers at all times, regardless of whether they are being spotlighted in thematic programming. Films licensed specifically for featured thematic programming may be available for shorter periods, but all films will be available for a minimum of ninety days unless otherwise noted.

The Criterion Channel will launch in the U.S. and Canada and will be available on desktop browsers as well as through apps for Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Roku, iOS, and Android and Android TV devices. Subscribers who sign up by April 7 will enjoy an extended, 30-day free trial (starting April 8), reduced fees for as long as they remain subscribed, and immediate access to a new pre-launch, members-only Movie of the Week every Wednesday between now and the April 8 launch.

Criterion Channel is okay, though it's interface on Android TV is a bit of a nightmare; but what really irks me is a lack of anything outside of 2.0 sound. We are not animals.

The bandwidth difference between 2.0 and 5.1 is huge, and bandwidth=money, so maybe they’ll offer it down the road. It is disappointing though.