Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Filmstruck streaming service shutting down on Nov. 29

Not being pithy, a genuine question, given that the majority of the criterion collection probably wasn't even shot in stereo is it that important for it to be streamed as 5.1 content?
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.
    In preproduction: www.lovesexandrobots.com Shooting March 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    Not being pithy, a genuine question, given that the majority of the criterion collection probably wasn't even shot in stereo is it that important for it to be streamed as 5.1 content?
    Doesnt matter when you're watching The 400 Blows, no. But sure does when you're watching Fire Walk With Me. Just figured it was odd for a company that based its business model on film presentation that they wouldnt preserve the integrity of films shot with 5.1 in mind. As Darcy said, bandwidth is likely a factor. Not the end of the world or anything, but would be nice.

The theatrical mix for FWWM was 2.0 Dolby Surround, so that would be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Headless Body View Post
    The theatrical mix for FWWM was 2.0 Dolby Surround, so that would be correct.
    I'd say that would be correct for the theatrical presentation; the Criterion blu-ray, however, features 7.1 DTS-HD, supervised by Lynch, with an "alternate 2.0 DTS HD" track, so I don't know that I'd blanket statement it with "correct". Their release of Mulholland Drive features no 2.0 track, just the Lynch-approved surround track as well.

Again, this isn't a deal-breaker, but seems odd that the Criterion Channel wouldn't allow the same audio options they have on their discs.

I believe that they were in a bit of a hurry to get the thing launched, but, if I'm remembering correctly, during the Home Theater Forum podcast interview, either Lee Kline or the audio guy they interviewed said that they are working on getting 5.1 and, eventually, 4K video on the channel.

I'm still rocking the trial version right now, but 5.1 or not, 100 bucks a year is a great price. Being in Canada, of course, we dont have all of the options they do in the US, but there's still tons of content.

I think Canada is mostly missing the IFC titles, the Olympic films, and The Brood and Scanners (although, I think this one is no longer on the US versions.) and maybe one or two other things. So that isn't too bad.

Don't know if they are all available in Canada, but currently every Jean-Pierre Melville films is on the channel, including the harder to find The Magnet of Doom and When You Read This Letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick King View Post
    I think Canada is mostly missing the IFC titles, the Olympic films, and The Brood and Scanners (although, I think this one is no longer on the US versions.) and maybe one or two other things. So that isn't too bad.

Don't know if they are all available in Canada, but currently every Jean-Pierre Melville films is on the channel, including the harder to find The Magnet of Doom and When You Read This Letter.
    Took a brief look this morning and there are a bunch if the Olympic films on it. I've found enough to keep me interested in it, so I'll probably st least pay for a few months. Having extras and commentaries...and Godzilla....is amazing.

I seem to recall someone bemoaning that the Olympic films weren't streaming in Canada. Either they couldn't find them or they've been added since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick King View Post
    I seem to recall someone bemoaning that the Olympic films weren't streaming in Canada. Either they couldn't find them or they've been added since then.
    Doesn't seem to be all of them that were included with the 100 Years of Olympic Films, but there are a handful of them in there.