Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: THE DEVIL'S NIGHTMARE (Jean Brismée, 1971) - Mondo Macabro, Jan 2019

Press release for the standard edition.

Mondo Macabro’s May 2019 Release of THE DEVIL’S NIGHTMARE– The world Blu-ray premiere of classic Gothic horror.

The Devil’s Nightmare
    1 Blu-ray disc
    Label: Mondo Macabro
    Prebook: 4/19/19 Street: 5/14/19
    MSRP: $29.95
    UPC: 843276019396
    Catalog #: MDO193
    Region A. Widescreen Anamorphic 1.66:1
    PCM Mono
    Production year: 1971 in Belgium
    Color, 95 minutes, in English and French
    Director: Jean Brismée
    Cast: Erika Blanc, Jean Servais, Daniel Emilfork, Jacques Monseau, Lucien Raimbourg, Colette Emmanuelle, Ivanna Novak, Shirley Corrigan

A busload of tourists on holiday discover that they are going on an unscheduled trip… a trip into the macabre. They find themselves lost and in need of food and shelter. A gloomy castle ahead seems to be the refuge that has been seeking. What they don’t know is that Baron von Runberg, the castle’s owner, lives under an ancient family curse – one that will draw the unsuspecting guests into a terrifying game of death. As they enjoy a splendid meal at the Baron’s table, a beautiful stranger arrives at the castle. And the nightmare begins...

This delirious exercise in Gothic sex and horror is one of the very few such films to come from Belgium and stars the great Erika Blanc, the diva of 1960s and 70s Euro horror, together with Shirley Corrigan (CRIMES OF THE BLACK CAT), Jean Servais (Rififi) and Daniel Emilfork.

SPECIAL FEATURES:
    Newly commissioned cover art from Gilles Vranckx
    HD transfer from the original negative
    Audio commentary from Troy Howarth
    Interview with director Jean Brismée
    Interview with Roland Lethem
    Interview with assistant director Robert Lombaerts
    Original trailers and TV spots
    Mondo Macabro previews

Name:  173ea4c6-4191-4ec5-875f-e371bc88bdfa.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  70.7 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

can't wait to get this one, I missed out on ordering the special edition direct from Mondo Macabro. I remembered a few days after the preorder started and it was already sold out. This is one of my top 5 Euro Horror films of all time, up there with Daughters of Darkness, and Vampyres. I will be glad to finally see it uncut, more lesbians are always good lol, I do not try to convince myself that I'm not watching these movies for the boobs and blood, that's what makes these films so fun. I find it funny, when people try to find some deep meaning of life in these films.

Jared,
    Do you (or any other Good Kid) have a preference between the English and French language tracks?

You know, I never thought about it before, but I think the old Redemption DVD only had English audio. Supposedly Erika Blanc appears to be speaking French in this, so I might have to give that version a whirl first.

I've only ever watched it in English! That track works just fine. I'll probably watch it in French the next time I see it, just for the sake of comparison.

Out via Screenbound in the UK today, DVD only it seems. I doubt this uses the MM transfer.

Name:  dn.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  21.7 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Out via Screenbound in the UK today, DVD only it seems. I doubt this uses the MM transfer.

Name:  dn.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  21.7 KB
    It's Blu-ray. Although I'm glad I snagged the MM version.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    I'm pretty sure it is the same HD master, as it was provided to us by the licensor. But we did put some extra work into it, and of course the UK release won't have the encode magic provided by David Mackenzie!

Quote Originally Posted by Jared A. View Post
    I'm pretty sure it is the same HD master, as it was provided to us by the licensor. But we did put some extra work into it, and of course the UK release won't have the encode magic provided by David Mackenzie!
    It'll also be a vanilla release like all their Jean Rollin BDs.