Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Jose Ramon Larraz Set - Blood Hunger (Arrow Video)

I never quite got why Ebert has no issues with LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT (which he gave a positive review to) then came later down really hard on the FRIDAY THE 13th movies, which are Hanna-Barbera by comparison.

Because he's a hypocritical fuck. Just look at his review of The Howling. I am on my phone so google that shit for a laugh.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

I loved Whirlpool, surprisingly sleazy.

I never saw why people rated Ebert so highly, I don't think his style was anything special. His handful of Meyer scripts are fun but pretty sanctimonious, he didn't have the balls to put his name to most of them. David Lynch was right to use his negative review as positive publicity for Lost Highway, film lovers know that professional reviews aren't worth a wank. I'd take the opinion of anyone here more seriously than someone that's paid to review films.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

You don't read Ebert for his opinions on genre movies, he was the guy to listen to when it came to high quality dramas; he turned me on to countless excellent non-genre flicks that I otherwise would've ignored; when he gave something four stars it meant something. I never paid attention to his casual dismissal of horror and exploitation, it's really another world that he didn't understand and that's OK with me (although he was brilliant at making fun of bad movies too).
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

The bit where the reviewer states his opinion of a film is one of the least important parts of a good review. That the reviewer has an ability to paint a picture of the film for the reader and an understanding of the films place among other films is the key thing for me. My taste in movies doesn't tally with Eberts at all but he was a must read for me. Such a pompous, lovable dude who wrote wonderfully and had a very obvious love of film.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

I first encountered Ebert when I was a child -he gave a talk on b&w films on the CD-ROM Cinemania'97. Just as well, otherwise that lame running joke in Godzilla 98 would have made no sense!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    You don't read Ebert for his opinions on genre movies, he was the guy to listen to when it came to high quality dramas; he turned me on to countless excellent non-genre flicks that I otherwise would've ignored; when he gave something four stars it meant something. I never paid attention to his casual dismissal of horror and exploitation, it's really another world that he didn't understand and that's OK with me (although he was brilliant at making fun of bad movies too).
    What is it with people like him giving ratings out of 4 stars instead of the normal 5?

Quote Originally Posted by fatboyslim142 View Post
    What is it with people like him giving ratings out of 4 stars instead of the normal 5?
    I like the 4 star system myself; that extra star starts to make things confusing.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    I like the 4 star system myself; that extra star starts to make things confusing.
    Why? Considering EVERYONE else does it out of 5 stars.