Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Arrow Releasing The Sister Street Fighter Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick King View Post
    The set's co-producer posted at the Criterion Forum and said that the scene in question will be reframed on the UK release and unaltered on the US
    This co-producer has just answered back regarding whether the UK version will play uncut if put in a Region A player, as in the case of Born Under Crossed Stars from the Suzuki set. It will NOT, while the US set will be uncut as expected. I suppose that means Arrow regards a potentially indecent image of a child as far more risky than a bit of animal mistreatment.

The big problem (apart from the BBFC generally being a bit flighty and inconsistent) is that in cases like these they're not just trying to apply the law as written, but the current interpretation of the law. In 2011 they decided that the scene from REALM wouldn't contravene the Protection of Children Act "as currently applied", but if the govt passes new laws that tighten things up further or there's a major court case where similar material gets found obscene then they have to go back and cut it again.

Back in the '90s there was a court case where the BBFC-cut 1981 cinema version of TENEBRAE was found obscene for some fucking reason, which led to the absurd circumstance of the BBFC having to cut an extra 1 second from the 1999 VHS release just so they weren't passing the exact same version that a court had recently ruled against.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
    If the image is part of a scene involving sexual content then I'm not surprised the BBFC cut it. Divorced from anything sexual it may not have been a problem. The penis tugging from IN THE REALM OF THE SENSES eventually made it through because it, to quote the BBFC, "does not occur in a sexual context and is in no way sexualised". A fair amount of the cuts made to A SERBIAN FILM were to remove images of children intercut with sexual content.
    This is the best explanation I've read so far. Makes perfect sense. Of course, I'm against any form of censorship and want to see these films in the manner the director intended and I'm no fan of the BBFC's often arbitrary & outdated guidelines but I can see them erring on the side of caution here.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    Oh, crikey. I don't remember any of this at all from when I last watched these films. I probably popped to the kitchen to make a cup of tea or summat
    You're not the only one. I didn't recall that scene either & I've watched this flick at least 2 or 3 times. Now that I've seen it, unfortunately I can't unsee it & I'm drawn to it as it's distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardrli View Post
    This co-producer has just answered back regarding whether the UK version will play uncut if put in a Region A player, as in the case of Born Under Crossed Stars from the Suzuki set. It will NOT, while the US set will be uncut as expected. I suppose that means Arrow regards a potentially indecent image of a child as far more risky than a bit of animal mistreatment.
    So does mean that the uncut US Region A edition will be in even higher demand and possibly sell in far greater numbers than usual for those region free in the UK, Europe, Oz, NZ etc that would've otherwise purchased the Region B version? Or is British customs very strict in terms of regulating what type of films can be imported from overseas and will confiscate the Region A disc before reaching the buyer?
    "only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

I remember when In the Realm of the Senses was still banned in the UK, it was on an official banned list at UK Customs for importation. So you'd be in trouble legally for importing that for home use in a way you wouldn't be for Cannibal Holocaust.

Updated artwork.

Name:  sisterSFA.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  56.9 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Sister Street Fighter AKA a potential one-way ticket to jail!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    To be fair, it seems that the BBFC are only upping classifications for films which feature rape or suggestions of rape - so such a thing is no longer allowed in a film classified '12', for example. IMO, since they kowtowed to the Hollywood studios in creating the '12A', they've allowed themselves to be led by the nose by Hollyweird, who often push and push for lower classifications (one of the films cited in the article, RED SPARROW should have been passed uncut at '18', IMO, rather than being given a cut '15' to no doubt appease the distributors); and when screening films before allowing them to be seen by our children, I often comment to my wife that some films classified '12A'/12' should really be '15' (eg, THE DARK KNIGHT) whilst others seem too tame and feel like they should be 'PG' (eg, the recent Marvel and Star Wars movies). I'm devoutly anti-censorship, for the most part, but really feel that addressing the inconsistencies within films classified at '12' or '12A' is something the BBFC should have done for a number of years.

All of this is hugely OT, of course, so to come back to the topic at hand, it's been many years since I last watched these films but I don't recall the scene in question, so it can't have made much of an impact on me. It's always been my feeling that in cases where someone can look at a photograph of a naked child and see it as 'potentially indecent', that tells us more about the person doing the looking than about the image itself. (Of course, there is the possibility that the image could be much stronger than I'm imagining.)

Watched THE DARK KNIGHT with my 9 and 11 year olds a few months ago and highly regret it. It reminded me that I need to be more careful even with comic book films.

Quote Originally Posted by 47lab View Post
    That's certainly good news. I took a peep at the scene in question when that alkie doctor and tranny are clandestinely filming the boss shagging Shiomi's sister through the two way mirror & yeah, I can see why the BBFC was skittish about that background image being shown. It's a print of a very young pre-pubescent blond white girl completely nude in a come hither position on a sofa or bed. I even felt uncomfortable staring at it for too long. A big difference between this and any consensual acts between adults in IN THE REALM OF THE SENSES or LADY SNOWBLOOD.
    Damn, I enjoyed the hell out of that movie but that doesn't ring a bell at all. I am overdue for a rewatch.
    Last edited by Jason C; 01-21-2019 at 06:18 PM.

The re-framing on the UK version is well done as it appears to be happening within a shot. The detail goes softer but it's not like some hideous pan and scan VHS. Unless you know when and where it is, you probably wouldn't notice, or just think it's one of those artificial close up shots when they didn't get the coverage.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

A cool interview at Cinema76.com with cover artist Kung Fu Bob and the work he did on THE SISTER STREET FIGHTER COLLECTION & THE STREET FIGHTER.
    "only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"