Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dario Argento’s Fear Autobiography

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark View Post
    Richard Stanley was Argento's hookup whenever he was in London in the 80's so you know it was quality product.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    And he couldn't get access to Stanley's pot in the 90's! It all makes sense now! FUCK!
    I wonder who Dario's dealer was during the DEEP RED / SUSPIRIA /INFERNO days! I'd like to smoke some of that!

I recall something from Stanley's old website journal wherein he blames Michael Cimino for not being able to hang out with Dario... quite funny... Ah! Thank you Wayback Machine!

It was the winter of 1990. American forces were standing by off the coast of Kuwait and I was in Switzerland on official business. Hardware was playing in competition at Avoriaz but most of all I was hoping to see Dario, who had promised to come if we could only find some decent smoke to make his trip worthwhile. As we were approximately three thousand meters up a goddam mountain in what were fast approaching whiteout conditions, this was proving to be a tall order.
    [...]
    "Do you think we should help him?"
    "Help who?"
    "That guy over there..."

I followed her eyeline, watching the bedraggled figure right itself, a freezing wind whirling down off the piste, beating against him as he tried to make headway.

"He looks sick..."
    "Probably drunk. Or dying. Who cares? We're on a mission, remember! Unless we get back to Dario in the next half hour, there's no way il maestro's getting on that plane, no way in hell..."

The stranger took a half step, then his legs folded and he pitched face first into the snow.

"Oh my God..."
    Michael Cimino
    "He'll be fine..."
    "It's Michael Cimino!"

The man, who single-handedly brought down United Artists, had been flown in to replace Brian de Palma as head of the jury after de Palma was recalled to LA, following the disastrous reception of The Bonfire of Vanities (1990). Nobody seemed happy about this, least of all Cimino, who had a sort of 'drowning, not waving' look in his eyes as he struggled to regain his footing.

"So?"
    "He made The Deer Hunter!"
    "So what?'
    "We can't just leave him!"

"And Dario co-wrote Once Upon a Time in the West! Where are your priorities!"
    "What about Thunderbolt and Lightfoot! I mean, we have to at least get him back to his hotel..."
    "Oh God, okay ..."
    "C'mon... Get the other arm..."

So I never did see Dario or give him the statue that waited on the windowsill back at the lodge, watching the snow silently pile against the double glazing.
    http://web.archive.org/web/200810222...2.php#mountain

Alas, Argento doesn't talk about Stanley at all in FEAR.
    Last edited by Curwen; 12-06-2019 at 09:38 PM.

On Elijah Wood's Visitations podcast, Stanley says Argento wouldn't go unless he got the weed: https://player.fm/series/visitations...ichard-stanley
    Vortice Mortale - The Lost Highway of Horror and Cult Film

Latest post: The Catwoman / Curse of the Catwoman (John Leslie, 1988-91)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark View Post
    On Elijah Wood's Visitations podcast, Stanley says Argento wouldn't go unless he got the weed: https://player.fm/series/visitations...ichard-stanley
    This is amazing!
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

I wonder if he'll dish the details on how and why his movies from the 90's onward sucked so bad.
    I don't think it's fair that Argento always gets singled out for a decline in quality during the '90s. Most of the major horror directors had a rough decade: Craven sold out; Romero made nothing; Fulci made nothing; Carpenter made one great flick (IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS); Hooper made THE MANGLER; Cronenberg pretty much left the genre; Cohen made nothing etc.

I'd say the only major horror directors who were pretty consistent in the '90s were Yuzna and Gordon (and even he made THE WONDERFUL ICE CREAM SUIT).

At the very least, Argento was getting movies made.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    I don't think it's fair that Argento always gets singled out for a decline in quality during the '90s. Most of the major horror directors had a rough decade: Craven sold out; Romero made nothing; Fulci made nothing; Carpenter made one great flick (IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS); Hooper made THE MANGLER; Cronenberg pretty much left the genre; Cohen made nothing etc.

I'd say the only major horror directors who were pretty consistent in the '90s were Yuzna and Gordon (and even he made THE WONDERFUL ICE CREAM SUIT).

At the very least, Argento was getting movies made.
    I think it was because Argentos fall was so big. I mean he went from absolute greatness to unwatchable, while the others mentioned went from good to bad.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

I think you can find justifiable reasons why the other auteurs languished.

Romero was always hit and miss.

Carpenter did okay in the 90's. I think the Village of the Damned remake is okay.

Craven did amazingly well in the 90's. The 90's was very good to him. But he was inconsistent with his work.

Fulci's health was miserable at the time and the industry in Italy was collapsing.

Tobe Hooper was always a hack. I love TCM but that's really the only film of his you can point to and say it was genuinely good. TCM 2 is a fun sequel.

Argento fanboys just hand wave the criticism even though Argento was still working with relatively lavish budgets.

Craven did amazingly well in the 90's. The 90's was very good to him. But he was inconsistent with his work.
    True he was successful, but, c'mon, VAMPIRE IN BROOKLYN? SCREAM 2? MUSIC OF THE HEART?! He sold out after NEW NIGHTMARE.

Fulci's health was miserable at the time and the industry in Italy was collapsing.
    Fulci's decline started a lot earlier than Argento's, right around MURDEROCK. He was always more prolific than Argento, but you can't deny he made some downright embarrassing pictures after 1984.

Tobe Hooper was always a hack. I love TCM but that's really the only film of his you can point to and say it was genuinely good. TCM 2 is a fun sequel.
    I disagree. I think both EATEN ALIVE and THE FUNHOUSE are superior to TCM. He didn't really start to lose it until after his three-picture deal with Cannon. Up to that point, he had a solid track record.

Craven had the Scream trilogy (for better or worse), People Under the Stairs, New Nightmare, and Red Eye. That's far from a fall from grace. For every good film he made in the 80's there was at least one bad or mediocre or guilty pleasure in there.

I'm the first to say that Fulci's later output was shit. He knew it was shit and admitted it "Sometimes I have to make movies to eat!" He knew Zombi 3 was shit and took off. You're not going to find many defenders of the later period. Wax Mask is a great "what could have been great" kind of movie.

Eaten Alive is OKAY. Funhouse is OKAY. Great setting. Great Rob Bottein mask. That's about it. The Cannon movies, I don't think you'll be finding anyone defending Lifeforce as a masterpiece, bud. And TCM 2 is fun, like I said. He made some amusing B movie schlock here and there.

The Cannon movies, I don't think you'll be finding anyone defending Lifeforce as a masterpiece, bud. And TCM 2 is fun, like I said. He made some amusing B movie schlock here and there.
    I never said it was a masterpiece, but it's far from the work of a "hack".

Craven had the Scream trilogy (for better or worse), People Under the Stairs, New Nightmare, and Red Eye. That's far from a fall from grace. For every good film he made in the 80's there was at least one bad or mediocre or guilty pleasure in there.
    It's nice to see you mention RED EYE; it's one of Craven's most overlooked films.