Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dario Argento’s Fear Autobiography

Dario Argento’s Fear Autobiography

https://www.facebook.com/28022799866...type=3&theater

After many months of negotiations the contract finally arrived today. FAB Press is now officially Dario Argento’s publisher. English language version of Dario Argento’s autobiography FEAR, coming soon. Merry Christmas everyone. Here’s to 2019.
    Vortice Mortale - The Lost Highway of Horror and Cult Film

Latest post: Goin' Down Slow (John Leslie, 1988)

I wonder if he'll dish the details on how and why his movies from the 90's onward sucked so bad.

Come at me Non Ho Sonno defenders.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

FYI, The hardcover can now be purchased on Amazon & possibly a few other US booksellers. I found it simpler to search by ISBN: 9781913051051 .

Just finished reading my copy. Curious to hear what others think.

Alex K. - I wonder if he'll dish the details on how and why his movies from the 90's onward sucked so bad.
    Fraid not. The more recent the films the less candid & more hurried his writing.

I found it to be an easy, breezy read. A glass of red wine which adds flavour to the hearty main courses of Alan Jones' PROFONDO ARGENTO and Maitland McDonagh's BROKEN MIRRORS BROKEN MINDS. A nice nightcap, if you will. Argento does throw out some interesting tidbits I'd been unfamiliar with, such as how heavily marijuana contributed to his creative thought process.

Fulci really hated stoners.

I want it. I wonder if there'll be a Kindle edition. I do all my best reading in the tub and so usually wait for the digital version to avoid all those soggy pages.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    Fulci really hated stoners.
    Speaking of auteur substance disapproval, Alan Jones' book quotes Argento as saying the following about BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA:
    "I hated it. It was terrible. The reason why it wasn't any good was because director Francis Ford Coppola was sick, depressed and hooked on the drug Lithium when he made it. That's what the movie was really about and why it was so awful. It was just his drug-addled fever dream. Who's interested in that? I'm not."
    It's not cited. So I don't know if Argento said this in a private conversation with Jones, or if it's taken from some published interview.

Either way, always found this an odd hangup. Especially Argento's misconception of the effects of Lithium. It's a mood stabilizer. To reduce impulsivity & mood swings. Argento makes Lithium sound like opium or absinthe.

That giant praying mantis makes sense now.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

That giant praying mantis is the result of stink weed.

Richard Stanley was Argento's hookup whenever he was in London in the 80's so you know it was quality product.
    Last edited by Tom Clark; 12-06-2019 at 02:02 PM.
    Vortice Mortale - The Lost Highway of Horror and Cult Film

Latest post: Goin' Down Slow (John Leslie, 1988)

And he couldn't get access to Stanley's pot in the 90's! It all makes sense now! FUCK!