Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Faces Of Death

John Alan Schwartz, the man behind the original Faces Of Death, passed away yesterday.

Name:  fod.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  53.2 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Toyboy View Post
    There was a recent profile of Faces of Death/Conan LeCilaire on the Snap Judgment podcast, episode 926. There are interviews with "LeCilaire" - who now sells assault weapons in Colorado - as well as with one of the students who infamously reported her high school teacher who had played the film for his entire class and allegedly forced the girl to stay and watch in spite of her shock and discomfort.

http://snapjudgment.org/beyond-faces-death
    I'd never heard of the story about the chap who showed his students FACES OF DEATH till I read this. Intrigued, I looked up the story and found an article from the year of the incident, 1985: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...198-story.html

For the uninitiated, apparently the teacher, Bart Schwartz, showed students in his maths class FIRST BLOOD followed by highlights of FACES OF DEATH - and fastforwarded through the film to pick out the highlights!

I remember back when I started teaching in the early 2000s, I was delivering a module on film censorship and showed LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT to a group of students (with some proper context, of course), at a time when it was still banned on home video in the UK, much to the amusement of my teaching colleague who was in the office next door. I also showed GOODBYE UNCLE TOM and THE ACT OF SEEING WITH ONE'S OWN EYES. I would show snippets from FACES OF DEATH but not the whole shebang. They provoked some interesting discussions, to be honest. But these were students on a media production degree, not maths students in a high school setting. However, I don't think I would get away with doing that today, which is a damned shame.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

THE ACT OF SEEING WITH ONE'S OWN EYES is probably the most disturbing of all those films by a wide margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy G View Post
    THE ACT OF SEEING WITH ONE'S OWN EYES is probably the most disturbing of all those films by a wide margin.
    Big time. I had to turn away from the screen more than a few times, although you can't really call it exploitative, because it's just a straightforward examination of autopsies. Unlike anything else that Brakhage did.

Another one I found nearly unwatchable was Georges Franju's BLOOD OF THE BEASTS, which is also done in a matter-of-fact style. Unbelievable that it was made in 1949.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    Big time. I had to turn away from the screen more than a few times, although you can't really call it exploitative, because it's just a straightforward examination of autopsies. Unlike anything else that Brakhage did.

Another one I found nearly unwatchable was Georges Franju's BLOOD OF THE BEASTS, which is also done in a matter-of-fact style. Unbelievable that it was made in 1949.

Never had a chance to see BLOOD OF THE BEASTS although I probably have it downloaded somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post

BLOOD OF THE BEASTS is brutal. I got through it once, and that was that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    BLOOD OF THE BEASTS is brutal. I got through it once, and that was that.
    When the Criterion of, "Eyes without a face" was released, I recall being surprised by that film being in the extras. I watched it, and yeah, it does show all the slaughterhouse stuff. I thought it was wild someone thought to document this stuff back in 1949.

Sometime after that release, I got the Blu-ray of, "Eyes without a face". Well, after watching the movie, I did watch, "Blood of the beasts" again. It's a decent little documentary, but doesn't leave anything to the imagination. I recall the veal table. Earlier in the film there was some talk of the knives, and some people working there who had really fucked themselves up by accidentally slashing theirself. I think there was someone in the slaughterhouse who had to have his leg amputated, or something. It's been a while since I viewed it.

So, yeah, nothing to the imagination. If you can stomach it, it's a view into the way those slaughterhouses functioned in 1949.