Thread: speaker question

speaker question

just bought speakers for tv and music. everything sounds pretty cool. never had speakers for the tv before. anyway, hooked the tv to the speakers with an optical cable. bluray comes thru fine. music things come thru fine. tv channels come thru fine. youtube streaming thru the tv comes thru fine. netflix and amazon streaming thru the tv transmit no audio thru the speakers. puzzled as to why youtube streams audio when netflix and amazon do not. all three are perfect when streamed thru the bluray player. and audio comes thru the actual tv speakers for netflix and amazon when streamed using the tv.

i do not have an extra rca cable right now but that will be what i try next.

is there something obvious to anyone here that is causing the audio silence?

thanks

It could be a DRM issue. I've run into this with projectors where they won't stream Netflix or Hulu at all. After looking into it, it's setup that way on purpose by the streaming companies for some reason.

If it is a DRM issue causing it, I don't know of any way around it.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by JLG View Post
    just bought speakers for tv and music. everything sounds pretty cool. never had speakers for the tv before. anyway, hooked the tv to the speakers with an optical cable. bluray comes thru fine. music things come thru fine. tv channels come thru fine. youtube streaming thru the tv comes thru fine. netflix and amazon streaming thru the tv transmit no audio thru the speakers. puzzled as to why youtube streams audio when netflix and amazon do not. all three are perfect when streamed thru the bluray player. and audio comes thru the actual tv speakers for netflix and amazon when streamed using the tv.

i do not have an extra rca cable right now but that will be what i try next.

is there something obvious to anyone here that is causing the audio silence?

thanks
    Is the TV hooked up to an HDMI-ARC port? Non-ARC ports won’t send audio to the amp from the TV. Also, if the port is ARC and the HDMI cable is older, the cable may not be up to spec for it to carry the audio return connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Parker View Post
    Is the TV hooked up to an HDMI-ARC port? Non-ARC ports won’t send audio to the amp from the TV. Also, if the port is ARC and the HDMI cable is older, the cable may not be up to spec for it to carry the audio return connection.
    I think he said it was connected to the TV by optical?

Optical issues for me have always been related to PCM/Bitstream settings. Try toggling back and forth between those in your TV's setting.

Hmm, I had something similar once and it turned out to be a surround sound issue. From memory there was a setting on the set top box to output in surround sound but my speakers weren't surround sound speakers. So for normal tv, cable etc the speakers worked fine as they weren't transmitting a surround signal. When I switched to Netflix the audio shut off as it was transmitting in surround, the set box was pushing out surround and the speakers didn't know what to do with it. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Dom D; 01-24-2019 at 06:20 PM.
    Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women man.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    Hmm, I had something similar once and it turned out to be a surround sound issue. From memory there was a setting on the set top box to output in surround sound but my speakers weren't surround sound speakers. So for normal tv, cable etc the speakers worked fine as they weren't transmitting a surround signal. When I switched to Netflix the audio shut off as it was transmitting in surround, the set box was pushing out surround and the speakers didn't know what to do with it. Just a thought.
    thanks Ian, Darcy, Mark and Dom!

Mark nailed it! had to switch from digital to PCM.

did a bit of reading on DRM today. was basically unaware of that stuff. goofy, but i feel like i learned something. also, that helped put me at ease cuz i kept thinking that in some screwy way i had connected things incorrectly. but the DRM totally killed that feeling so thanks, Ian!

the rca cable i picked up was useless. now i'm curious to see if it will transmit.

thanks again for the help in letting me enjoy my speakers!

quoted the wrong post.

anyway, i do appreciate the help.

thanks again!

Ha, PCM toggle almost claimed another victim. Glad to hear you've emerged triumphant.