Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alejandro Jodorowsky Arrow Box Set

Name:  jodo.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  49.8 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I hope they release them individually when the box set sells out rather than just re-issuing the set minus limited edition tat. I don't want to pay for the box just to get Fando y Lis. There would have to be a really good reason for me to buy the other two again.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

El Topo, Fanda Y Lis and Holy Mountain are getting a theatrical run from new 4k restorations starting in January via Arrow.

https://www.arrowfilms.com/news/the-...m-jan-10-2020/
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Coming March 30th, UK release only.

Product Description:

Alejandro Jodorowsky is one of world cinema s most fabled iconoclasts. Often venerated as the ultimate cult film director, the Chilean artist shot to prominence as a 1970s counter-cultural icon thanks to the masterful movies presented on this collection: Fando y Lis, El Topo and The Holy Mountain. These extraordinary films, presented here alongside his stunning new film Psychomagic, bedazzled audiences with their unique aesthetic, contrasting violence and beauty; the sublime and the sacrilegious; the mystical and the macabre...

Jodorowsky's first feature, Fando y Lis, tells of young Fando and his paraplegic sweetheart Lis s journey through a series of surreal scenarios to find the enchanted city of Tar. An acid-western packed with vivid imagery, El Topo stars Jodorowsky as a master-gunfighter who duels with four sharp-shooting adversaries on his journey across a desert dreamscape. In The Holy Mountain, Jodorowsky plays The Alchemist, a guru who guides a troupe of pilgrims on a quest to ascend the Holy Mountain in search of spiritual enlightenment. Jodorowsky s new cinematic experience, Psychomagic, A Healing Art, explores the directors radical therapeutic work.

Influential, controversial and endlessly fascinating, Jodorowsky s surreal masterpieces are presented here in stunning new 4K restorations, accompanied with a wealth of illuminating extras, and new writing.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

New 4K restorations of Fando y Lis, El Topo and The Holy Mountain approved by Alejandro Jodorowsky
    Blu-ray premiere of Jodorowsky s new film Psychomagic
    High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations
    Original 1.0 mono audio and optional 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio
    Newly translated English, Spanish and French subtitles
    Six collector s postcards
    Double-sided fold-out poster
    Limited edition 80-page hardbound book featuring new writing on the films by Virginie Sélavy, Michael Atkinson, Bilge Ebiri, Mark Pilkington and archival articles
    Reversible sleeves featuring original and newly designed artwork by Matt Griffin

FANDO Y LIS

Audio commentary by Alejandro Jodorowsky
    Jodorowsky Remembers Fando y Lis, new interview
    Newly filmed introduction with Richard Peña, Professor of Film Studies at Columbia University
    La Cravate, Jodorowsky s compellingly surreal 1957 adaptation of Thomas Mann s The Transposed Heads
    La Constellation Jodorowsky, Louis Mouchet s feature-length documentary featuring interviews with Jean Mobieus Giraud and Peter Gabriel

EL TOPO

Film presentation in both 1.85:1 and 1.33:1 original theatrical aspect ratios for the first time
    Jodorowsky Remembers El Topo, new interview
    New introduction with Richard Peña
    A Conversation with The Son of El Topo, a newly filmed, extensive interview with Brontis Jodorowsky
    The Father of Midnight Movies, an archival interview filmed in 2007
    El Topo Original Motion Picture Soundtrack CD

THE HOLY MOUNTAIN

Jodorowsky Remembers The Holy Mountain, new interview
    New introduction with Richard Peña
    Pablo Leder: Jodorowsky s Right Hand Man, Jodorowsky s personal assistant remembers his time spent with the director
    The A to Z of The Holy Mountain, a new video essay by writer Ben Cobb
    Deleted scenes with director s commentary
    The Tarot, a short film in which Jodorowsky explains the secrets of the cards
    The Holy Mountain Original Motion Picture Soundtrack CD

PSYCHOMAGIC, A HEALING ART

Blu-ray premiere of Jodorowsky's new film
    Original Trailer

Name:  EMPRn0KWoAcVWse.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  37.5 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I don't recall how graphic any of the animal violence is in EL TOPO, but will it be uncut in the UK?

A bird was shot. That was it.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Quote Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
    I don't recall how graphic any of the animal violence is in EL TOPO, but will it be uncut in the UK?
    It's been uncut in the UK since the late nineties.

I'll be getting this. It will look good on my shelf!
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Yeah, I'll need this too. My concern is that after I buy it Arrow will do a UHD release, but then, if they didn't do UHD with Robocop, which will surely do bigger numbers than this, then they probably won't do UHD with this. At least not for a while.

Which is a fucking shame, because how gorgeous would Holy Mountain look on a proper 4k disc?
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Yeah, I'll need this too. My concern is that after I buy it Arrow will do a UHD release, but then, if they didn't do UHD with Robocop, which will surely do bigger numbers than this, then they probably won't do UHD with this. At least not for a while.

Which is a fucking shame, because how gorgeous would Holy Mountain look on a proper 4k disc?
    There are plenty of recent Arrow releases that I haven't bothered with for this reason after Waterworld got released on UHD by Universal only a few months later (albeit looking very different).

Extras mean less and less to me these days (in the early days of DVD I'd always upgrade when a version with new extras came out), packaging means fuck all and, all the time they're not putting out UHDs, I don't feel the need to upgrade for better picture quality as it's not going to be the best possible. Also, there are space and cash reasons. Now, if they'd have gotten Tusk, I'd have picked it up (despite it being piss poor), but there's not enough here to entice me already having the old DVD/CD box set and current Blus of El Topo and Holy Mountain.

I've been quite disappointed by Arrow recently, maybe the well of available to licence cult stuff has dried up. The upcoming output of companies like Camera Obscura would point to that, or a general desire for these companies to become more mainstream.
    Last edited by agent999; 12-23-2019 at 01:38 AM.