Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Midsommar

Watched this last night. It had some good moments, but overall I found it underwhelming. It could've been an hour shorter, too; the 147 min. running time is more than a little indulgent.

There's some bad laughs in this as well. I'm pretty sure a climactic scene was supposed to be serious and creepy, but I was actually laughing a little bit.
    Last edited by Matt H.; 10-11-2019 at 10:17 AM.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    Watched this last night. It had some good moments, but overall I found it underwhelming. It could've been an hour shorter, too; the 147 min. running time is more than a little indulgent.

There's some bad laughs in this as well. I'm pretty sure a climactic scene was supposed to be serious and creepy, but I was actually laughing a little bit.
    I guess you're not a candidate to wade through the 170 minute version!

As to the "laughs", Aster has done the self-revisionist thing and claimed that it was a dark comedy all along. While, as I wrote in my review earlier in this thread, some of the bits were certainly intentional, I agree that most of them are some form of "bad laughs". Aster seems to want it both ways - he revels in the reviews that call it creepy and horrifying, while also wanting to get "credit" to those that find it a hoot (intentional or otherwise).

If you want a real bunch of unintentional laughs, see the Nic Cage WICKER MAN remake!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    If you want a real bunch of unintentional laughs, see the Nic Cage WICKER MAN remake!
    I've seen it. That's a weird one; I don't know what to make of it. Neil LaBute had previously made four very good black comedies and then, all of a sudden, he doesn't know what he's doing? There had to have been studio interference or something; how could an intelligent director suddenly lose his taste?

Nic Cage punching out women is pretty damn funny, though.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post

Nic Cage punching out women is pretty damn funny, though.
    Correction: Nic Cage punching out women in a bear suit is pretty damn funny, though.

I was never a big fan of LaBute's work. He always came off as too smugly self-aware to be genuinely effective. His Wicker Man is all over the place, as is the tone. My full piece on it is here: http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/s...l=1#post193841

Director's Cut Blu-ray release happening in Australia soon.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=322606
    Rock! Shock! Pop!