Thread: video camera microphones

video camera microphones

any recommendations?

there are some big sounds in the tunnel that i like to go into. looking for a convenient way to get those. just did a quick test of a tascam tm-2x and not impressed.

maybe xlr mics are better?

Quote Originally Posted by JLG View Post
    any recommendations?

there are some big sounds in the tunnel that i like to go into. looking for a convenient way to get those. just did a quick test of a tascam tm-2x and not impressed.

maybe xlr mics are better?
    Would it be easier to record the sound via a discrete audio recording device and then combine it with the video in post?
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

I'd imagine it's very tricky to get good audio in a tunnel if you're not a sound guy. I believe stereo condenser mics are the go. Given that's what the tascam is you probably already have the right gear. I have a friend who's a pro, I'll ask him how he'd go about ti for you.
    Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women man.

Okay so basically I've been told a lot of things I don't really understand but the first thing that he wanted to say was that this is hard to do well. And in his opinion getting good results would be more down to good post work than great recording. I'm guessing your not super fluent in Pro Tools or Audition but if you want to get something that sounds great that may be where you need to turn your attention.

As far as a mic he recommended to go something like this one linked below. Looks to be pretty similar to what you are already trying though:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...7yapzJrxmTjTUA
    Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women man.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    Okay so basically I've been told a lot of things I don't really understand but the first thing that he wanted to say was that this is hard to do well. And in his opinion getting good results would be more down to good post work than great recording. I'm guessing your not super fluent in Pro Tools or Audition but if you want to get something that sounds great that may be where you need to turn your attention.

As far as a mic he recommended to go something like this one linked below. Looks to be pretty similar to what you are already trying though:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...7yapzJrxmTjTUA
    thanks, Dom! you are correct in that i am not fluent in editing programs. i will get to editing eventually but for now i'm still getting a feel for the camera.

funny that your friend recommended a Rode mic. i was watching some videos and they to seem to pick up the low end sounds. there are definitely some huge low end sounds down there.

looks like i'm going to pick up a Rode at some point.

Paul-i have thought about a separate audio recorder but really don't want to do that. not right now anyway. maybe down the road i can get someone to go with me and i can bring some of my audio stuff down there. doable with an extra person. way too much to cram into my backpack for my bicycle ride to the entrance!

thanks, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by JLG View Post
    Paul-i have thought about a separate audio recorder but really don't want to do that. not right now anyway. maybe down the road i can get someone to go with me and i can bring some of my audio stuff down there. doable with an extra person. way too much to cram into my backpack for my bicycle ride to the entrance!
    Yes, I should have said that if you approach it that way you'll probably need someone else with you.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard