Page 388 of 390 FirstFirst ... 288338378386387388389390 LastLast
Results 3,871 to 3,880 of 3898

Thread: What are you watching?

If only Cronenberg hadn't quit, it might have been intersting.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Quote Originally Posted by agent999 View Post
    If only Cronenberg hadn't quit, it might have been intersting.
    I quite forgot he was attached at one point. The tone of the movie is actually slightly Cronenbergian now I come to think of it.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    I quite forgot he was attached at one point. The tone of the movie is actually slightly Cronenbergian now I come to think of it.
    Supposedly he quit a month before shooting was due to start after rows with Sharon Stone. Some sources say he was merely in the running to direct it, but he was actually attached. It was originally going to shoot in New York. Then it took another five years to actually make it, presumably the London switch was down to some UK financing.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

The Great Outdoors

Haven't seen this in a fairly long time. Saw one of the Starz/Encore channels was airing it the other night. So DVRed it. Decent comedy. With John Candy at his peak and Ackroyd being a total asshat.

The Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism (1967), streaming on Prime. Nice print! Does any one know if this is the same print as in the Severin box set (Christopher Lee)?

I watched Vince Vaughan’s horror/comedy effort Freaky last night, and it’s definitely more on the comedy side, but it really is fun. Watching Vince Vaughan act like a high school girl was really funny, but credit to the young actress opposite him, who managed to pull off a creditable job of acting like Vince Vaughan trying to act like a high school girl less successfully than the real Vince did.

If that was confusing, watch the movie and you’ll see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Newt Cox View Post
    The Great Outdoors

Haven't seen this in a fairly long time. Saw one of the Starz/Encore channels was airing it the other night. So DVRed it. Decent comedy. With John Candy at his peak and Ackroyd being a total asshat.
    I watched The Great Outdoors countless times as a kid. I caught up with it a few years ago and could barely make it to the credits. There only a few good gags and Ackroyd is sooo unlikable. I'd say I actually hate this film now. I had the same reaction to Planes, Trains, and Automobiles after revisiting it as well.

I think Aykroyd gives a brilliant performance in THE GREAT OUTDOORS; his rapid-fire delivery and energy is actually quite astonishing (he's equally good in THE COUCH TRIP from 1988) And, yes, I'm well-aware that cocaine probably played a part in this, but who cares when he's this damn good. Candy is excellent at playing the straight man and I always appreciated how generous he was to let Aykroyd let loose.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    I think Aykroyd gives a brilliant performance in THE GREAT OUTDOORS; his rapid-fire delivery and energy is actually quite astonishing (he's equally good in THE COUCH TRIP from 1988) And, yes, I'm well-aware that cocaine probably played a part in this, but who cares when he's this damn good. Candy is excellent at playing the straight man and I always appreciated how generous he was to let Aykroyd let loose.
    I really love The Great Outdoors. The only storyline in this film that I give no shits about is the romance between the son and the tourist-hating local girl.

You ever seen Kuffs? Yeah, you don't need to see Kuffs.

Prime Christian Slater. Pre-prime Milla Jovovich. Ferris Buller meets 48 Hours. How can you go wrong? What a fucking mess...
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.