Page 341 of 359 FirstFirst ... 241291331339340341342343351 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,410 of 3585

Thread: What are you watching?

I thought the ending was good. Apparently, Paramount rushed the remake into production because they were about to lose the rights to it.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

I concur! Although I have to add though that Belinda Balaski and Merrie Lynn Ross are pretty hot too!

Psycho 2. Am I nuts or was this actually quite good? My expectations could not have been lower going in but this almost had a giallo vibe. It also has this air that "all is not what it seems" and that the filmmakers have a big twist in store. As it turns they don't, and all is pretty much as it seems after all, but I appreciate the effort to put me off balance.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Psycho 2 was well received on release and it's reputation has only grown since. One of the finest sequels alongside Aliens and Godfather 2. Not to mention Return of the Living Dead 3.

It's quite excellent indeed. I just rewatched it today, thanks to you guys reminding me about it. Some frustrating "is it real or imagination" bits during the first 45 min, but the rest is really solid, as thriller and as tragic character study. Superb use of the mansion as well, Shinji Mikami must've had this film playing on repeat when he made the 1st Resident Evil video game.

+ Meg Tilly is totally hot

The Director's Cut of Nightbreed. It's been maybe a decade since I watched the theatrical cut and I've put off watching the director's cut for whatever reason. I think the first act is very strong in both cuts but it kind of stumbles in the 2nd act. The problem is a logical one: so the cops discover these mutants. Okay. Time to kill them all I guess? This would work if they were just dumb rednecks (like right out of a Dom Dohler movie) or religious fanatics or whatever. But garden variety cops deciding to kill all mutants? That's when the movie goes downhill for me.

We needed more scenes establishing this world and the Nightbreed. What we got was just too brief.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    The Director's Cut of Nightbreed. It's been maybe a decade since I watched the theatrical cut and I've put off watching the director's cut for whatever reason. I think the first act is very strong in both cuts but it kind of stumbles in the 2nd act. The problem is a logical one: so the cops discover these mutants. Okay. Time to kill them all I guess? This would work if they were just dumb rednecks (like right out of a Dom Dohler movie) or religious fanatics or whatever. But garden variety cops deciding to kill all mutants? That's when the movie goes downhill for me.

We needed more scenes establishing this world and the Nightbreed. What we got was just too brief.
    Considering the cops would be Mounties in the real world, I see no problem with the way they are depicted in Night Breed.

I'm watching a couple episodes a night of either ULTRASEVEN, ULTRA Q or RETURN OF ULTRAMAN. I'll pick one of the 3 and then dose up on 2 episodes. I'm thoroughly enjoying all 3 but ULTRA Q is my favorite. Way more horror elements and way less juvenile than the other 2. Also, the actress who played Fuji in the original ULTRAMAN is a regular on Q, albeit as a different character. She's incredibly cute! Last night's ULTRA Qs included a standout episode called "I Saw a Bird". Very melancholy, complete with a crazy memorable, sad music theme. Called to mind some similar episodes from the soon-to-follow ULTRAMAN but somehow even more emotionally involving. The last shot damn near had me a little dusty.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Love Camp 7 (USA, 1969) – 1.5/5
    The foundations of the nazisploitation genre, unfortunately a piece of shit film. It starts out amusing enough alright. First we get a British general declaring "You'll be whores of the 3rd Reich for the next five days" with a wide smug smile on his face, having just conceived his master plan to infiltrate two American female spies into a nazi camp. You also get a French resistance leader asking the two busty operatives to strip buck naked and change in front of him while he does the mission briefing - a scene where not one viewer heard a single word he said. Unfortunately the amusement is stops there once you realize whoring is all this 90 min sex marathon has to offer. The premise isn't entirely indifferent to some Japanese exploitation films of the era, but the film is missing their professionalism and seductive visuals. What you get here is girls licking the boots of a nazi leader played by producer R.W. Cresse himself, giving a whole-hearted if comically bad performance that perhaps reveals more about his motivations than we needed to know.

Women in Cellblock 7 (Italy / USA, 1973) - 2.5/5
    A crime / action / WiP hybrid with Anita Strindberg going undercover in prison to retrieve information to save her father who is being chased by gangsters. It would be a stretch to call this a good film, but the prison drama / erotica is a bit better done, more story driven than in many other WiP junk films, and the frame story sneaks in an entertaining car chase or gunplay scene 25 minutes. Oh, and Alien vs. Ninja stole a scene from this.

Rulers of the City (Italy, 1976) [VoD] - 2.5/5
    Lightweight Fernando Di Leo gangster actioner with two young blokes trying their luck against the mafia. Moderately entertaining if you can get past the brain dead script and the fundamental question why make a film with these silly youngsters when there were older, more charismatic actors available? A very passable time waster, but Milano Calibro 9 this is not.

Hell of the Living Dead (Italy, 1980) [VoD] – 2.5/5
    Idiotic zombie film mishmash that is nevertheless watchable. There’s stolen Goblin music, nature stock footage, a half-arsed attempt to borrow from Cannibal Holocaust with social commentary, bargain basement gore effects, a staggering lack of logic, and brain dead arseholes (the heroes), one of whom is a reporter running out topless in the jungle. And yet the last half an hour is surprisingly solid, with some genuinely well done scenes (the sound design in the house scene near the end is great, fans of the 1996 Resident Evil video game should feel at home here) and atmospheric footage of zombies walking the earth. At 98 min the film ought to have lost 15 min, though.

Superman: Red Son. One of the best DC Animated movies I've seen in a long time.