Page 387 of 392 FirstFirst ... 287337377385386387388389 ... LastLast
Results 3,861 to 3,870 of 3915

Thread: What are you watching?

SCARE ME (Josh Ruben, 2020). Clever. It's not quite a Harold in structure, and I'm sure it was pretty tightly scripted, but Ruben and Aya Cash capture a sweet anthology horror improv energy. Kind of looking forward to WEREWOLVES WITHIN.

SNACK BAR BUDAPEST (Tinto Brass, 1988). Giancarlo Giannini, man: maybe he lost a bet to somebody, but he's a hell of a gracious loser. As a mobbed-up disbarred lawyer he dances through nighttown, gamely accepts a smurf johnny, has shootouts with prostitutes and gazes mournfully on various people pretending (often quite badly) to be dead; there are fireworks. Also skin, and ironically bad rear projection. This is almost a glorious mess, and the MYA DVD doesn't do the film any favours (cropped, dark, non-amorphic and generally MYA-grade shitty), but I kinda want to check out the source comic now. Not the best line, but at one point he says: "I've never enjoyed myself so much and so stupidly, it's liberating." A decent blu-ray would cost me money.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Dolly Parton pinball machine. More detail here https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=698 and especially, here: https://libraryguides.berea.edu/dollypinball/artwork
    Last edited by Barry M; 09-14-2021 at 05:07 PM.

Pump up the Volume

After my lady forced me to watch the Made for Disney Channel remake of this a month ago I figured it would be nice to cleanse the palate and watch the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Newt Cox View Post
    Pump up the Volume

After my lady forced me to watch the Made for Disney Channel remake of this a month ago I figured it would be nice to cleanse the palate and watch the original.
    There's a remake? :shockhorror:
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    A Disney Channel remake no less. I am guessing the running gag about cock rings is not included in the remake.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    Now more than ever...
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Parker View Post
    A Disney Channel remake no less. I am guessing the running gag about cock rings is not included in the remake.
    Radio Rebel,with Deby Ryan. In this one instead of a pirate radio station she has a podcast. It is really really bad. My girl found it on DVD years ago and forced me to watch it. And that is when I learned she had never seen Pump UP the Volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Newt Cox View Post
    Radio Rebel,with Deby Ryan. In this one instead of a pirate radio station she has a podcast. It is really really bad. My girl found it on DVD years ago and forced me to watch it. And that is when I learned she had never seen Pump UP the Volume.
    It seems more like a rip-off than a remake. Is it an acknowledged remake?
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    It seems more like a rip-off than a remake. Is it an acknowledged remake?

Nope not an acknowledged remake. But watching it is it fairly obvious the writer saw Pump Up the Volume.

Basic Instinct 2: Would you believe I've never seen this? I am the world's biggest fan of Basic Instinct. I think it's one of the great thrillers. I even temp tracked my third feature to the BI soundtrack and it still plays in my head when I watch my film. I had a lot going on in 2005 though and then I just forgot the sequel existed. Anyway I came to this with high hopes. So bad it's good was the expectation. Eberts review gave me hope. He says something along the lines of "I'm giving this 1 and a half stars to keep myself from giving it 4."

What a fucking misfire though! Just about everything in this film is wrong. Catherine Tremell is one of the great femme fatales. This film reduces her to a moustache twirling villian. In the original she's an enigma and also has a human side. None of that here. Just this really coarse raw dialogue always spoken with a sneer. I dont care if shes hot. I dont buy that anyone is going to be desperate to shag her.

The lead male is a disaster. Uncharismatic to the extreme. You need a movie star to play against Stone. This guys got tv written all over him (he went to be the Guv'nor in Wlaking Dead).

And London's just the wrong choice of setting for this film. It wants to be icy and slick. You just don't associate England with Icy and Slick. Doesn't matter if half the film is set in the Gherkin, our associations with those accents is working against you the whole time.

So bad it's good? No just bad. Horribly disappointed and worried it's going to colour my next viewing of the original.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.