Page 367 of 367 FirstFirst ... 267317357365366367
Results 3,661 to 3,665 of 3665

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    Dislocated shoulder makes me almost vomit every damn time.
    I’ve dislocated my shoulders so many times now that it only gets a yawn, even when it’s my own shoulder!

I'm not big on war movies either but just recently I've been rewatching Bridge On The River Kwai and A Bridge Too Far. Both flat out masterpieces. Neither has the adventure of Guns Of Navaronne but Kwai is one of the more interesting movies that focus on a character study . You don't really expect in an epic like this. A Bridge on the other hand is one of the better "madness of war" type movies that doesn't focus on the slaughter. I wonder if you could do a huge war movie like these days that's about the good guys getting their arses kicked? Probably not. But then this was an independent movie from back in the days when an independent movie could star Connery, Caine, Hackman, Olivier, Bogarde, Hopkins, O'Neil, Redford and on and on.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    WHERE EAGLES DARE is one of my favorite films period. It's not just a damn fine war film, it's one of the best action movies ever made. Eastwood and Burton are fantastic, and the music score never fails to get my blood pumping. That main theme is just outstanding. Makes you want to go blow something up! The plot is so well constructed - I love the intrigue of the possibility of one of them being a traitor. GUNS OF NAVARONE is top notch as well, great ensemble cast in another grand adventure. I have a real affinity for those "men on a mission" type films - THE DIRTY DOZEN is another.

Love those Rathbone Holmes films! THE SCARLET CLAW is perhaps my favorite, it the one that comes closest to a full on horror film. HOUND OF THE BSASKERVILLES is very close as well. Nigel Bruce can get on my nerves a bit depending on the picture, sometimes he gets too goofy for my tastes. He plays the character very different from the Watson of Doyle's stories and novels. Still adore the series though.
    WHERE EAGLES DARE really surprised me. Even with it's pedigree I guess I just never heard enough people talking about it.

Yeah SCARLETT CLAW was one of the better ones. That and PEARL OF DEATH with Rondo Hatten (another reason I should have checked it out sooner). Nigel Bruce is definitely a bit to bumbly but I found him loveable enough overall. I do prefer Andre Morell from Hammer's BASKERVILLE as Watson. Wish we could have got more of that team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    I'm not big on war movies either but just recently I've been rewatching Bridge On The River Kwai and A Bridge Too Far. Both flat out masterpieces. Neither has the adventure of Guns Of Navaronne but Kwai is one of the more interesting movies that focus on a character study . You don't really expect in an epic like this. A Bridge on the other hand is one of the better "madness of war" type movies that doesn't focus on the slaughter. I wonder if you could do a huge war movie like these days that's about the good guys getting their arses kicked? Probably not. But then this was an independent movie from back in the days when an independent movie could star Connery, Caine, Hackman, Olivier, Bogarde, Hopkins, O'Neil, Redford and on and on.
    I'll put both them on the watch list. Bridge On The River Kwai is another one that I've been meaning to check out forever.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Rewatched The Nice Guys for the tenth time already. I don't know why this film didn't rule the whole world. It's the new plus ultra of Black's buddy movie comedies. He'd been refining the formula for decades and he finally nailed it 100%. Or 92% according to Rotten Tomatoes where it is his highest rated movie.

And why did no one go to see it in cinemas? 60 million dollar takings on a 50million dollar budget doesn't make for good reading. Black says he's in for a sequel while Joel Silver says he's not paying for it. Maybe we could do a whip around. I've got about fifty bucks in my bank account how about you?
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

THE RENTAL - Two couples rent a beautiful coastal home for a weekend getaway. Things are going swell until one of them discovers a camera in the shower - they think it's the creepy caretaker who's responsible...but is it? This was pretty well done, takes its time to get going a bit but ultimately quite tense and brutal. The twist is easy to see coming, and nothing else is particularly original but it's done with style and the (unknown, at least to me) cast is uniformly good. The creepy caretaker is played by that guy who was in an episode of SEINFELD - "I'm the WIZ! I'm the WIZ! Nobody beats me!" Nice, unsettling ending too.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.