Page 101 of 393 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 3922

Thread: What are you watching?

I watched the first two episodes of the eleven-part "Metal Evolution" series on VH1 last night. This is done by the same cats responsible for "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" and seems to be an expansion of that concept. A documentary like this is naturally going to cause second guessing and content questioning, but overall this seems to be very well done and hits on the high points with many very good interview subjects. The first episode concentrated on the roots of heavy metal music, while the second covered metal and hard rock in the US during the 70s. Looks like we'll be visiting the New Wave of British Heavy Metal next, which I'm very much looking forward to.

You can view some teaser clips at the VH1 website here...

http://www.vh1.com/shows/metal_evolution/series.jhtml

This weekened....

Snackbar Budapest - not Brass' best film by a long stretch. Kind of dull, not particularly sexy but nicely shot.

The Legend of Hell House - hadn't seen this in a while and it's still a creepy, creepy movie. Roddy is awesome in it, even if he occasionally chews through the scenery. Loads of atmosphere and really impressively bizarre camera work. I would buy this on Blu-ray in a heart beat.

Class Of 1984 - It always warms my heart to see downtown Toronto all scuzzed out in this one, and hey, Teenage Head show up to rock. Alice Cooper's theme song is terrible and great at the same time, Michael J. Fox looks like he's twelve.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Class Of 1984 - It always warms my heart to see downtown Toronto all scuzzed out in this one, and hey, Teenage Head show up to rock. Alice Cooper's theme song is terrible and great at the same time, Michael J. Fox looks like he's twelve.
    And Lisa Langlois looks totally rad.

Last night...

Point Blank - a generic looking cover for a movie with a generic title. Turns out this movie is bad ass. A really cool, tense and violent crime film out of France with some interesting characters, a few good twists and some great action set pieces. I dug this a lot.

Porkchop - bad, bad, bad throwback to 80s era slashers. A girl fucked a robot and a guy in a pig mask cut people up. Horrible in every regard... and somehow completely watchable after a few drinks.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Last night...

Point Blank - a generic looking cover for a movie with a generic title. Turns out this movie is bad ass. A really cool, tense and violent crime film out of France with some interesting characters, a few good twists and some great action set pieces. I dug this a lot.

Porkchop - bad, bad, bad throwback to 80s era slashers. A girl fucked a robot and a guy in a pig mask cut people up. Horrible in every regard... and somehow completely watchable after a few drinks.
    The alternative cinema podcast has been talking about Porkchop in the last few episodes. Kind of want to see it, but would rather rent it. Seems like Netflix doesn't have it.

Eat the School Girl: Eh, you're typical Japanese Pink film. Nothing too special. Some nice imagery though.

Humongous - hooray for Canadian horror movies with rape babies and dogs and gore and titty berries.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I've been in a spaghetti western mood lately, so I dug out my old copy of Companeros and watched it Tuesday night. I'm generally not so much into the comedic elements of Italian westerns, so this one started off kinda slow for me. By the end though, I was jumping off the couch, waving my fist in the air and singing along with the theme song! Corbucci + Nero + Milian + Palance + Morricone = cinematic gold.

THE TOOLBOX MURDERS(1978)-Starts out with a very strong 20 minutes and then sort of meanders off.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Banks View Post
    THE TOOLBOX MURDERS(1978)-Starts out with a very strong 20 minutes and then sort of meanders off.
    But I'll bet you could go for a lollipop right about now.