Page 51 of 393 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you watching?

Satanis...finally finished it last night. Took three sittings and it shouldn't have, but I kept falling asleep. It was good too...can't explain it other than perhaps Satan didn't want me to watch it.

Shock - creaky old Vincent Price movie suitable for watching with your grandmother. Somehow I'd never seen it before it was pretty decent.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Dawn of the Dead (2004) -- get some, get some, get some...go again. Love it.

Tried watching Sinthia, The Devil's Daughter (I think that was the title)...the other half to the Satanis double feature from Something Weird. Couldn't get into it. Fell asleep. Maybe I'll try some Bigfoot movies instead.

Ghosts of Mars (2001) -- finally saw it, and glad I only paid four bucks to see it! Somewhere between his early horror films and becoming an outsider working on modestly budgeted indie-flicks Carpenter seems to have completely lost his ability to scare, create tension or suspense or engineer decent action sequences. For a film so reliant on action, this one seriously sucked...badly. Nice concept, but something went horribly awry between script and screen. Like a bad B-movie western set on Mars. The score was cool, but...well, colour me extremely underwhelmed.

$4 is about what Ghosts is worth.

Last night? [REC] - wanted to watch the original again after checking out the second film. It still holds up and it still made me jump.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Ghosts has a kick-ass soundtrack though. Anthrax, Steve Vai, BUCKETHEAD....come on! That OST rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Jordan View Post
    Ghosts has a kick-ass soundtrack though. Anthrax, Steve Vai, BUCKETHEAD....come on! That OST rocks!
    Yes, yes it did, and that much is true...but...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane
    $4 is about what Ghosts is worth.
    ...so is the above.

The Blob (original version). I enjoyed it once again, even with all its dated awkward dorkiness. A classic of the awkward dorky era. Nice extras on that Criterion disc.

The Human Stain
    . It's an ambitious effort, but ultimately it fails, trying to condense down too many situations, characters, and statements into a two-hour film. Some very competent actors are completely miscast in their roles (Anthony Hopkins, Nicole Kidman, Gary Sinise), and a few are a perfect fit (Ed Harris, Wentworth Miller). There's moments of brilliant writing, and a couple of very interesting scenes, but you get the feeling that too much has been left out to get the impact of the story as presented in the book (which I have not read).

Pollock. Ed Harris directs himself as the titular character. Great cast, well paced, and great looking film.

GOLD DIGGERS OF 1937

It's great. I never knew I had a weakness for chorus girls. On her way to swindle an old moneybags to his death, one shrugs and sighs "It's so hard to be good under the capitalistic system." The finale would make a great double bill with Norman McLaren's CHAIRY TALE. The DVD has a couple of surviving numbers from the 1929 technicolor talkie GOLD DIGGERS OF BROADWAY (including Tiptoe Through the Tulips), plus the usual couple of cartoons and a vitaphone short. From the Busby Berkeley box set #2, snagged for ten bucks at Big Lots.