Thread: AVENGERS SEASON THREE FINALE PART II: ENDAME (2019)

AVENGERS SEASON THREE FINALE PART II: ENDAME (2019)

The smartest thing that the Russo Brothers and the writing team of Chris Markus and Stephen McFeely do is to start small. Intimate. Even quietly. Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) and his family alone in their rustic rural yard. It doesn't stay so for long, but, the creative team here doesn't escalate quickly, either. Considering the apocalyptic expectations, the first third or so of ENDGAME is surprisingly low key as these things go, picking up the pieces five years after the events of INFINITY WAR. At times, the pacing lags, as if the Russos et al. thought it necessary to let each and every character expound without editing. Still, a pleasant surprise considering.

The remaining Avengers gather, some more reluctantly than others (can you say Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.?) trying to gauge what to do next after half the planet (and universe) have been left in the...uh...dust. A deux ex machina appears in the form of the re-emergence of Ant Man (Paul Rudd), bringing with it a clue of how to proceed. Literally overnight, the Avengers perfect time travel. I guess they are wicked smart to have to come up with such a monumental breakthrough after eluding the collective brainpower of the universe over the centuries. Who needs Einstein, Bohr, Hawking? We got a guy who fires a mean arrow! With about as much deep thought (although LOTS of quips about BACK TO THE FUTURE and other time travel films) as you would take deciding what condiment to put on your sandwich, they put their plan in place.

Again, give the filmmakers credit for trying to come up with a decent set of time travel 'rules' - ones they hold to for the most part...until...they don't. The Seven Samurai vibe that has always been a part of the Avengers series works best in this middle section. Each Samurai/Avenger has their part to play as they tackle their missions. The Avengers has also long reminded me of an extended (and very expensive) TV Series. Each individual Marvel movie being an "episode", with the gang getting together for the big Season Finale - the latest Avengers installment. By introducing the Time Travel component, Marvel gets to include copious clips and re-enactments of earlier "episodes" - following the time honored tradition of 'clip shows' on TV. Still, the middle third is the strongest part of ENDGAME - a fairly briskly paced mini-Time Travel movie on its own, again, following its own 'rules' pretty honestly.

But, of course, the Marvel/Disney gods demand more than an efficient compact sci-fi vehicle, and so, a loophole must appear in the time-line in order for the inevitable....BIG BATTLE!!! The loophole allows just about everybody who's ever appeared in the previous 21 Marvel movies to show up, including the big baddie, Thanos (Josh Brolin). Even while the big Superhero/Super-evil battle royale is going on, the Russos do try to bring things down to a human level with characters interacting one on one as much as feasible during the welter of CGI effects. It's a tricky balance, and they don't quite succeed but fine acting by, in particular, Downey and Gwyneth Paltrow (her Pepper Potts is an under-appreciated character), do manage to make an impact.

ENDGAME even has a satisfying epilogue that would have wrapped things up nicely. And, then there's another. And, another. They didn't have room for an end credits stinger, but, numerous endings was fine?

Marvel has been selling this as the Series Finale. But, we all know better (the next Spider-Man is already an extension of this "Phase"). Many, if not, most of these characters will be back in one form or another. The Filmmakers, Actors and Craftsmen are too talented for ENDGAME to be anything less than competent. And, it's slightly better than that, if more that a bit long-winded. Even with the commercial considerations fully understood, it's still too bad that something more clever than yet another "epic" combat to wrap things up (Before the time travel element is introduced there's an opening for a very different kind of Superhero movie to be engaged. One where the remaining Avengers help the planet/universe pick up the pieces. But, the Mouse House didn't spend billions for something like that.). If ENDGAME (and the aforementioned Spider-Man VII) is considered the "end" of the series, it's not a bad one to end on. It's certainly better than the previous Avengers flicks*, even if that's a modest bar.

*Ironically, the best "Avengers" movie is, by far, CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR.
    Last edited by JoeS; 05-28-2019 at 11:52 AM.

I was entertained in a vague, half there sort of way. These two movies really remind me of an Anthony Horowitz series of young adult novels from the 90s. The Power of 5 or something... Strikingly similar arcs. A group of heroes come together to fight a great evil over a series of books, then, shockingly, the Evil wins and we cut forward to a distopian future years later where our heroes are scattered and people have given up. And then we go through time travel, a few battles and, finally, the ultimate sacrifice by our main hero to save the day. Maybe those were based on Avengers comics rather than the other way round- I know naught about comics.

Anyway this is quality trash on one level but there's some head scratching stuff. Iron Man invents Time Travel over night? Okay. Then that Time Travel either makes no sense or I was too distracted to follow it. The big boss is- well I've complained about the big boss battle for all of the comic book movies so I should probably give it a rest. Now the movies are stuck with Time Travel being a thing. I wonder if they just forget that. It's makes drama difficult.

What's curious is that Marvel has been building to this film for a decade and then when it finally comes they give it no breathing room at all. Captain Marvel was out, what, two months earlier? Spiderman is riding hot on it's tail. You'd think for something like this they would have wanted to give it its own moment. Of course the answer is, they don't need to. CM made incredible amounts of money. AEG made obscene amounts of money. And no ones going poor from the gate reciepts of the new Spiderman. So it looks like they can keep pumping this stuff out indefinitely and a look at the schedule ahead seems like that is exactly the plan.

A few years back everyone used to talk about the inevitability of superhero fatigue. I'm not so sure it's inevitable. Even in an enlightened place like this the movies may not get a lot of attention but if a series wants attention in the tv section it better based on a comic book. Walking Dead, Punisher etc. Maybe it's a modern phenomenon that nobody wants to commit time or money for something that's not already been vetted? Seems like excitement at the possibility of something new is dwarfed by the comfort of things we know even if we know the comfortable things won't be good.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

I like reading Dom's posts because they remind me of when I was young showing my parents a video game or something and you just get this confused reaction from what you were showing them.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    I like reading Dom's posts because they remind me of when I was young showing my parents a video game or something and you just get this confused reaction from what you were showing them.
    Hey! If you're not confused by what's going on then you've not been paying attention.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    Hey! If you're not confused by what's going on then you've not been paying attention.

That episode of that ancient cartoon aired 23 years ago. Guys who are With It like me are all about the Final Space memes these days.

Of course, whether you are 'with it' or not doesn't matter with the "Marvel Universe" these days. Now that they have called on the Time Travel Card with its 'multi-verses' they can literally pull ANYthing out of their collective behinds and say, "See! It's all explained by the X multiverse!"

Character dies? NO PROBLEM. In Y multiverse he's still alive!!

But, this explcity contradicts the events in the last movie?!! NO PROBLEM. In Z multiverse, it didn't happen!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    That episode of that ancient cartoon aired 23 years ago. Guys who are With It like me are all about the Final Space memes these days.
    Go on and write your book Billy and the Cloneasaurus.

I don’t get how people can be lost without watching every single Marvel movie. I skipped a bunch of them, including the first two Avengers movies, and there really hasn’t been anything that you need to know that is a total mystery without having seen anything else.

I skipped Incredible Hulk, Thor II, Iron Man 3, Avengers 1 and 2, Most of Thor 3 and Black Panther, and I was just fine watching Infinity War. There was the occasional bit that required a bit of Connecting minor dots, like Crossbones being scarred up in the beginning of Civil War, but there really wasn’t anything where I was lost completely. Usually, if something is important to know, there’s either a bit of exposition or its clear from context.