Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chow Yun-fat coming to blu ray

I was hoping for another Ronny Yu movie with Chow Yun Fat, THE POSTMAN STRIKES BACK instead of this ghost comedy.
    "only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

Quote Originally Posted by 47lab View Post
    I was hoping for another Ronny Yu movie with Chow Yun Fat, THE POSTMAN STRIKES BACK instead of this ghost comedy.
    I'd upgrade on that one. I still have the old DVD (which was fairly poor even by the standards of the day it came out).
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Watched God Of Gamblers last night. Had never seen this one before, probably avoided it because I only wanted to see Chow run around with twin .45's shooting people but I'm glad I caught up with it - and hey, you get to see Chow run around with twin .45's and shoot people after all. What a weird but ridiculously entertaining movie - you get it all... action, comedy, romance, drama. Chow screaming a lot and constantly eating chocolate. Preposterously unrealistic scenes of high stakes gambling. It's loads of fun.

The Blu-ray looks okay. Not amazing, but okay. The subtitle translation isn't good at all but it'll suffice.

I guess I should check out the sequels...
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Did you ever do an official review of the blu ray? I never upgraded this one but doesn't like it's worth shelling out for over the Mei Ah remastered reissue dvd which has a fine picture, is anamorphic and has the original Cantonese mono.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Watched God Of Gamblers last night. Had never seen this one before, probably avoided it because I only wanted to see Chow run around with twin .45's shooting people but I'm glad I caught up with it - and hey, you get to see Chow run around with twin .45's and shoot people after all. What a weird but ridiculously entertaining movie - you get it all... action, comedy, romance, drama. Chow screaming a lot and constantly eating chocolate. Preposterously unrealistic scenes of high stakes gambling. It's loads of fun.

The Blu-ray looks okay. Not amazing, but okay. The subtitle translation isn't good at all but it'll suffice.

I guess I should check out the sequels...
    I envy you, being able to watch this for the first time, Ian. The film is never quite what one expects it to be. There's a lot of soft focus/diffused light photography in this, and that Blu-ray seems to be based on an old master, but it's a decent improvement over the DVDs I've seen.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by 47lab View Post
    Did you ever do an official review of the blu ray? I never upgraded this one but doesn't like it's worth shelling out for over the Mei Ah remastered reissue dvd which has a fine picture, is anamorphic and has the original Cantonese mono.
    Nope, but if you want some screen caps I can get you some.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    The film is never quite what one expects it to be.
    Well put, I really didn't ever guess where it was headed next!
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

When Chow made God of the Gamblers he was the coolest guy on the face of the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Nope, but if you want some screen caps I can get you some.
    Thanks for the offer but I checked out caps-a-holic and Vicol did a nice job here. I will go ahead and upgrade the old Mei Ah dvd even with the aforementioned issues with the subtitles and remix audio. I have some other Vicol blu rays (TRAGIC HERO, RICH AND FAMOUS, etc) and their 5.1 remix isn't bad, at least they didn't add a a bunch of foley effects and crap.

Quote Originally Posted by mjeon View Post
    When Chow made God of the Gamblers he was the coolest guy on the face of the planet.
    yeah, there literally was no one cooler during that period of the late 80s to early 90s. He cemented his status as one of my top 5 all time actors with those films. I enjoyed GoG so much that I even bought the Stingrayz 1/6 Ko Chun figure. It's pretty cool - here's a quick unboxing video. I planned on getting the matching Little Knife (Andy Lau) figure but never did get around to it.

Yet another Chow Yun Fat flick coming to blu ray. Directed by Johnnie To and starring Sylvia Chang. I have the old Joy Sales dvd of this somewhere in storage. Up for pre-order at dddhouse.