Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warner Archive Releasing Shaft's Big Score & Shaft In Africa!

Warner Archive Releasing Shaft's Big Score & Shaft In Africa!

No new extras or anything but it will have a new transfer.

Coming in May!

SHAFT IN AFRICA (1973)
    NEW 2019 1080p HD MASTER
    Run Time 112:00
    Subtitles English SDH
    Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
    Aspect Ratio 16 X 9 LETTERBOX, 2.40:1
    Product Color COLOR
    Disc Configuration BD 50

Go ahead. Slug, drug, kidnap and leave John Shaft buck naked in a sweltering hellhole. It’s still no deal. If you want to recruit this tough-minded Manhattan detective for an overseas assignment, you’d better use a language he understands. One that offers a fat up-front fee. And a drop-dead-gorgeous accomplice. Richard Roundtree returns as the indomitable Shaft, who poses as a slave, unmasks the leaders of an Africa-to-Europe slavery cartel and, for good measure, mixes his business with amorous pleasure involving a beautiful princess (Vonetta McGee). The cool-fire impact of Roundtree’s performances endures: The actor won the 1993 MTV Movie Award for Lifetime Achievement for his work in the three Shaft thrillers.

Name:  D4TzP6jW4AYaymL.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  20.9 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

SHAFT'S BIG SCORE (1972)
    NEW 2019 1080p HD MASTER
    Run Time 105:00
    Subtitles English SDH
    Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
    Aspect Ratio ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 2.40:1, 16 X 9 LETTERBOX
    Product Color COLOR
    Disc Configuration BD 50

You can’t say the mob wasn’t warned about John Shaft. “He’s a bad dude,” a numbers racketeer cautions them. Now, Shaft himself will deliver that message in a way New York City’s wiseguys understand.

Richard Roundtree reunites with the director (Gordon Parks) and screenwriter (Ernest Tidyman) of 1971’s trendsetting Shaft for Shaft’s Big Score!, the second of Roundtree’s three movie portrayals of the street-smart, leather-jacketed private investigator. This time, the blown-to-kingdom-come murder of a client plunges Shaft into a case that bounces him like a pinball between the 133rd Precinct and competing mobs. But the players are about to be played in this “rousing and entertaining thriller” (Newsweek).

Name:  GaUmRt0.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  31.9 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Awesome news!

The old Warner Archive dvd releases were print-on-demand dvd-r, right? Is their blu-ray line the same, i.e. blu-ray-r?

But in any case, this is good news.

Btw, I've just discovered that Warner Archive have also released the Shaft tv series, on dvd-r (eight years ago!). I'm certainly gonna get them when the finances allow it (even if word on the steet is they're nowhere nearly as good as the films)

Warner Archive Blu-ray releases are pressed discs, not MOD.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I watched these awhile back; I think that Shaft's Big Score is a lot of fun, but Shaft in Africa is really damn bad.

I watched the original for the first time last year and I couldn't believe how boring it was! I love blaxploitation, but SHAFT wouldn't even make my top 20.

Are the sequels more fun?

I would say BIG SCORE is even more serious and boring, in that respect. Personally I think i's great (like really really great!), but the first 2 aren't the exploitation movie SHAFT IN AFRICA is. You may have more fun with that one. I'd say 1 and 2 are more like regular police procedural movies, similar to say ACROSS 110th STREET and DETROIT 9000. In that respect I think they are finer movies and a cut above the more cartoony Blaxploitation films. It really depends on what you're looking for.
    "You're just gonna grow up to be another Fogerty!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jack J View Post
    The old Warner Archive dvd releases were print-on-demand dvd-r, right? Is their blu-ray line the same, i.e. blu-ray-r?

But in any case, this is good news.

Btw, I've just discovered that Warner Archive have also released the Shaft tv series, on dvd-r (eight years ago!). I'm certainly gonna get them when the finances allow it (even if word on the steet is they're nowhere nearly as good as the films)
    Do let us know what you think! I've been curious about that series for a long time but I've never heard anything good about. Even Richard Roundrtree says it isn't good. I only found out it even existed a couple years ago.
    "You're just gonna grow up to be another Fogerty!"