Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The morality of filmmakers

I'm currently watching this week's episode of HAPPY! to check out how it "it leans HARD on pedophilia to a disturbing degree"...

What's the issue with Patton Oswalt? Other than being not all that funny, I don't know much about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    Yeah, if nothing else, this thread really, really makes me want to watch CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST again.
    And of course, if you have the Grindhouse release, you can watch it sans the animal stuff. That's how I like to watch this nightmare of a movie, which is a top 30 fave horror film for me.
    VHS will never die!

I've only ever seen it full-strength, and that's always going to be the way I watch it. It's gotta be the full nightmarish experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    Still less disturbing than the beheading of the chicken that takes place in the background during WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY. That scarred me for life as a young 'un.

If I hadn't grew up out in the country,with lots of friends that lived on farms,that scene would have got to me. But then by the time I was 5 I was helping my father skin and clean the deer he killed.

This piece on Birth of a Nation feels somewhat relevant to this thread: https://reprobatepress.com/2019/05/1...ist-nightmare/
    Vortice Mortale - The Lost Highway of Horror and Cult Film

Latest post: Voodoo Passion (Jess Franco, 1977)

Yesterday I visited the biggest rental store in Sapporo, and I was “delighted” to see Faces of Death 1-5 DVD set there. And it was one fucking 5 disc rental set, you gotta take ‘em all at once if you want them!

I would never even consider seeing any of them (zero interest in real gore), but there is a certain fascination toward the historical/commercial/social context of them existing in a highly commercial form and people having lined up to see them. For some concrete facts, in Japanese theatres Snuff ranked 10 and Cannibal Holocaust 8 in 1976 and 1983 respectively (non-Japanese movies box office).

I have similar feelings towards some of the more honest pink cinema, which is an easier topic from moral perspective since no one was raped for real. For Japan to have produced nearly 200 theatrical films titled “Molester’s Train”…

Interesting thread to happen across, not having been around here for a while. What's acceptable is up to each person to decide. The one thing I would say is that the attitude that "if it's within the law it's okay" is a weak one. The law is full of holes, particularly when it comes to art. They can't cover everything and they shouldn't.

A filmmakers morals have to come in at some point. There's a lot of desperate people out there, or just people who are vulnerable for whatever reason, who will do whatever you ask for money. To take advantage of that, and film it, as has been done over and over throughout film history is not good enough. "They were consenting adults", "it was within the law" are cop outs.

It's not an easy thing. I know my first film Bad Habits massively upset my in-laws. They're ministers. Does that make it wrong. I don't think so. They shouldn't have been watching it. Wouldn't have been without the family connection. But I could make that case if I wanted to.

If it's wrong, I think you know. I think there's plenty of filmmakers who have done terrible things. Sometimes I enjoyed it. It's a fine fucking line... fuck, just don't ever make anyone do a thing that makes them unhappy.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.
    In preproduction: www.lovesexandrobots.com Shooting March 2020.

Interesting thread to happen across, not having been around here for a while. What's acceptable is up to each person to decide. The one thing I would say is that the attitude that "if it's within the law it's okay" is a weak one. The law is full of holes, particularly when it comes to art. They can't cover everything and they shouldn't.

A filmmakers morals have to come in at some point. There's a lot of desperate people out there, or just people who are vulnerable for whatever reason, who will do whatever you ask for money. To take advantage of that, and film it, as has been done over and over throughout film history is not good enough. "They were consenting adults", "it was within the law" are cop outs.

It's not an easy thing. I know my first film Bad Habits massively upset my in-laws. They're ministers. Does that make it wrong. I don't think so. They shouldn't have been watching it. Wouldn't have been without the family connection. But I could make that case if I wanted to.

If it's wrong, I think you know. I think there's plenty of filmmakers who have done terrible things. Sometimes I enjoyed it. It's a fine fucking line... fuck, just don't ever make anyone do a thing that makes them unhappy.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

The other thing I would just say quickly is you have to take cultural differences into account. If a modern western filmmaker wanted to kill an animal for my entertainment these days I'd say feed him to the wolves. Deodato though? Different time, different place. I have no perspective on that. If I was born in 1920s Spain I'd probably think bullfighting was great so it's hard to condemn anyone who thought likewise. That we have to narrow what we can do is a bit sad but... I don't know. I guess we're evolving.