Thread: Who directed THE MANSON MASSACRE (1971/1976)?

Who directed THE MANSON MASSACRE (1971/1976)?

For decades, the identity of the mysterious "Kentucky Jones" who directed THE MANSON MASSACRE (1971/19760 has been a hot topic of debate amongst cult film fanatics. As of today, the IMDB is now listing Albert Zugsmith as the film's director. Some other guesses over the years were Roberta Findlay and David F. Friedman. But as of now, the IMDB is crediting Zugsmith as the film's creator. I hope they verified that information before listing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jobla View Post
    I hope they verified that information before listing it.
    Of course they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jobla View Post
    For decades, the identity of the mysterious "Kentucky Jones" who directed THE MANSON MASSACRE (1971/19760 has been a hot topic of debate amongst cult film fanatics. As of today, the IMDB is now listing Albert Zugsmith as the film's director. Some other guesses over the years were Roberta Findlay and David F. Friedman. But as of now, the IMDB is crediting Zugsmith as the film's creator. I hope they verified that information before listing it.
    I'm partially responsible for the Zugsmith theory. Zugsmith, and his Famous Players Co., definitely were involved with the funding of the film and some of the cast/crew were also involved with the other softcore projects he was directing at the time. Although I don't know with certainty if he directed it, it's a distinct possibility, whereas Findlay and Friedman absolutely did not.

I've heard others opine that Zugsmith was the mysterious director. Until hard info to the contrary surfaces, I think it's a pretty good "guess."

Now we can hazard guesses as to why he didn't place his name on the film. Perhaps he either feared possible reprisals from the "family," or didn't feel that the title would look good on his resume. Regarding the latter possibility, did the old bugaboo of "good taste" rear its ugly head in his thinking?