Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Film Aficionado Shutting Down

Film Aficionado Shutting Down

For those who still use the service:

"ANNOUNCEMENT: FilmAf will be ceasing activities on June 10, 2019. In nearly 20 years DVDAF and then FilmAf helped tens of thousands of people. That is quite a run! Unfortunately the economics have not been working for the past few years, and so it is time to call it. We would like to thank you for all the work and dedication you have put into the site. A special thanks to our moderators-extraordinaire, Greg and Anthony. Thank you for a great journey. Fair winds and following seas to all."
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Had a feeling this would happen sooner than later. Anyone have suggestions on a replacement site (not bluray.com)? I know there are some programs out there, but I prefer an online db.

I use DVD Profiler but it's a local install, not an online one.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    Not a site either, but I use the app My Movies. Works well enough and you can scan the barcodes with your phone's camera.
    Looking for Orozco the Embalmer (Camera Obscura) and the Swedish theatrical poster of Breaking Point (Vibenius/"Ron Silberman Jr.", 1975).

its to bad, quality sites like this getting replaced with standardized shit like bluray.com (sure it has it's own purpose like image/audioreviews for the nextgen viewer, but for cataloging it's just to derpy)

I used this site when it was dvdaf so I guess it doesn't bother me to much, but it's a good site if you want to find out what releases of something is availible (in some cases).

Coming to think about it, is there even an alternative to browse for global releases when it comes to DVD ?
    Last edited by ropo1; 05-21-2019 at 03:45 AM.

Thanks for the suggestions! I downloaded the trial version of DVD Profiler. Seems like it's going to be a monumental task to enter my entire collection using this software. I also installed the free My Movies app on my phone. The interface is slicker looking than DVD Profiler and the barcode scanner is really helpful. There's also a batch import option, though I haven't played with it yet. So far I'm leaning towards My Movies.

For anyone interested, the owner of My Movies offered a 50% code for FilmAF users until June 10. You have to install the free app, then enter the discount code "FilmAF" when you upgrade in-app. I haven't purchased it yet, but it let me enter the code and the discount was shown.

FWIW, there's a bar code scanner available for DVD Profiler as well (and it does make things much easier).
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Knew the writing was on the wall for a while, considering the "Hot Blu-ray" of the week has been The Martian for going on two years, but it's still a huge heartbreak. I still wind up looking at my page pretty much daily, and none of the existing options seem to really compete with their database, which will be a shame to lose for informational purposes beyond monitoring our own collections.

Filmaf has been an invaluable research tool. This could really impact my process for finding rare and foreign releases. It could also slow down some of my OOP purchasing. I will miss the way it presents my collection but I'm really bummed that I can't quickly display releases from companies like Madacy. Searches like that led me to Alley Cat and Wings Hauser's The Art of Dying.

I've been tracking my purchases with a spreadsheet in addition to filmaf since 2010 so I'll just stick with that method.

Aw man, I've been using that site since the early 2000s. Damn, I really do not feel like re-entering my whole collection into another database. sigh. Like others have said it had a great cross-reference search function.
    "You're just gonna grow up to be another Fogerty!"