Thread: Severin Films Releasing Satan's Slave

Severin Films Releasing Satan's Slave

From their Fantasia press release:

"Severin will also premiere a new restoration of Indonesian genre maestro Sisworo Gautama Putra’s 1982 classic SATAN’S SLAVE, which remains a rarely seen masterpiece of Asian horror. Both films have been restored to their original uncensored versions using vault elements, and will be released by Severin on Blu-ray later this year.

SATAN’S SLAVE screens on Saturday, July 20th at 11:55PM at the J.A. de Sève Theatre."
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

You just have to laugh at the hyperbole..."rarely seen masterpiece" lol. It's only been on DVD from BCI for the last 14 years! Yes, it's OOP but still readily available on the used market.

I'm guessing it's not a masterpiece & I have never heard of it unless I just ignored the title thinking it was the British film...

Quote Originally Posted by Keeth View Post
    I'm guessing it's not a masterpiece & I have never heard of it unless I just ignored the title thinking it was the British film...
    That's what I did. until now.
    Out here on the perimeter we is stoned...immaculate

Quote Originally Posted by Keeth View Post
    It's an Indonesian version of Don Coscarelli's Phantasm & it has had a remake 2 years ago.

Confirmed for May release.

"SATAN’S SLAVE: In 1980, Indonesian exploitation studio Rapi Films and writer/director Sisworo Gautama Putra (PRIMITIVES, THE WARRIOR) unleashed the singular chiller that rocked the Muslim nation, transformed the country’s genre film industry, and remains one of the most influential shockers in Asian horror history: While mourning the death of his mother, a troubled teen discovers a nightmare world of restless spirits, supernatural vengeance and occult terror with “an intense creepiness that stands the test of time” (The Jakarta Post). Ruth Pelupessy (THE SNAKE QUEEN) and W.D. Mochtar (MYSTICS IN BALI) star in this “classic from the Golden Age of Indonesian horror” (Monster!) – whose 2017 Joko Anwar remake became an international festival favorite and one of Indonesia’s biggest hits ever – now scanned from the original negative and packed with all-new Special Features."

Special Features for Satan’s Slave:
    -Satan's Box Office - Interview with Producer Gope T. Samtani
    -Indonesian Atmosphere - Interview with Screenwriter Imam Tantowi
    -Satan's Slave Obsession - Audio Interview with Remake Director Joko Anwar

Name:  slave.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  18.4 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Rock! Shock! Pop!

aka PENGABDI SETAN

I've seen it and it's not a masterpiece. Not by anybody's definition it isn't. But it's like pizza, even bad ones are good. And old Indo horror films are entertaining worldweird flicks in my book.

The Brentwood dvd was sourced from the old Japanese VHS and it's pixelating like crazy, so I for one am certainly looking forward to this bluray (and I would never have put money on there ever being a bluray, let alone with English subs).

They should have used the old cover art instead, though:
    https://backyard-asia.blogspot.com/2...-pengabdi.html

"Our forthcoming release of Indonesian horror classic SATAN'S SLAVE just got even more exciting! The disc will now also include some last minute additions: two short works by Joko Anwar, director of the 2017 remake."
    Rock! Shock! Pop!