Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Approaching Crush Depth: A Submarine Movie Thread

Well, thanks to this thread I deep sixed some dough and ordered copies of UP PERISCOPE and TORPEDO RUN. Should have them early next week.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

I've watched both UP PERISCOPE and TORPEDO RUN now. Both are worth watching but neither is what I'd consider essential or ground breaking. TORPEDO RUN does have a revenge element that's somewhat unusual. Glenn Ford, the captain, is forced to torpedo a Japanese prisoner ship that he knows his wife and child are on - it's being used as a shield for another Japanese vessel. Aside from this element it's pretty standard stuff. Ernest Borgnine is very good as usual as Ford's second in command. I found UP PERISCOPE to be the more intriguing of the two, James Garner is sent on a secret mission to copy Japanese code on an island, Edmund O'Brien is the captain of the sub that is transporting him there. O'Brien's strictly by-the-book command style has him reluctant to make the needed effort to allow Garner to reach the island, or give him sufficient time to complete the mission. Good support from Alan Hale Jr. and an uncredited Warren Oates in an early role.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.