Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jay And Silent Bob (2019)

Jay And Silent Bob (2019)

Presented without comment...

"The stoner icons who first hit the screen 25 years ago in CLERKS are back! When Jay and Silent Bob discover that Hollywood is rebooting an old movie based on them, the clueless duo embark on another cross-country mission to stop it all over again!"

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Likes and Dislikes are disabled.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Ugh!
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Fuck OFF, Kevin Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    Fuck OFF, Kevin Smith.
    No kidding. Who keeps giving him money?

And he still insist on inflicting his useless no talent daughter on us. It's a no, dawg. Congrats on staying slim though, Kevin. I still haven't gotten used to non fat Smith.
    https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Kevin Smith, some of his movies I don't like, but, I do like some of his films. This 2019, "Reboot" film, I know I'll give it a go, maybe not in the theatre, but, at some point. I saw the, "Strikes back" movie in 2001, and, I didn't find it a bad time. Silly humor, but, an OK time. I'm not into the super hero comic stuff, but, I still enjoy some of the humor. The ending of the 2001 "Strikes back" films was a good way to end the film, when the 2 have a lot of addresses for some folks. Oh, and can't forget the, "Ben Afflek was the bomb in Phantoms". I actually saw Phantoms in the theatre. Later on VHS or DVD, years later. Not much happens in that movie.... The funny thing is, I've seen Phantoms twice, but I only saw the, "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" movie once.

I saw Tusk, and I didn't care for that. It was boring. I haven't really paid much attention to what he's done in the past 10 years or so, nothing has grabbed my interest, but, I'll see this at some point. I remember what I was up to 18 years ago, when I saw the, "Strikes back" movie, and I will be giving this sequel a try.

Nabonga, I haven't seen much that his daughter has been in, but, I feel if he wants to toss her in some of his own films, whatever. All I know is she was in that, "Yoga Hosers" movie. I've never seen that, and not sure I want to.

For me, Kevin Smith's best work is Mallrats. The theatrical version, which I read somewhere he did not edit that version, someone else did. Whomever edited it, did great work, as I watched the, "Director's Cut" of Mallrats, years and years ago, and, well, it wasn't too good. The other guy who edited Mallrats did a better job than Kevin. I always recommend people not watch the director's cut of that film if it is their first viewing. I had no idea who Kevin Smith was when the video store I helped out at in the 90's had a screener for Mallrats. It was just a, "Magic Eye" image on the front of the box, and the lines, "They're not there to Work, they're not there to shop, they're just, there". 1996 or so, I took that screener VHS home, not knowing what the fuck it was, however, I did like Magic Eye. I also knew, I could just shut the movie off if I did not care for it. It's not like I had to pay to rent a screener. The first lines of the movie involved a story about a guy getting a cat suck up his ass. Back then, I wondered what the fuck I just got myself into. Anyway, it led to others watching the movie with me, one guy's older brother, 20's, had to borrow it, and watch it when he watched some of the scenes. I've told a few younger people before, if they want window into what some of the 90's were like, watch Mallrats. Magic Eye was such a product of it's time. I also think about all the stuff I was doing, and up to around that time. Video stores, getting an entire video store's Turbo Grafx 16 rental inventory for almost nothing, arcades, movie theatres, mall stuff, magic eye, internet still being somewhat fresh, etc.

Anyway, due to Mallrats, I'm willing to give some of what Kevin Smith comes up with a viewing. Mallrats I have a soft spot for. Interesting to see the 2 showing their age in the trailer. I've give this sequel a go, it's gotta be better than Tusk!

Quote Originally Posted by Nabonga View Post
    And he still insist on inflicting his useless no talent daughter on us. It's a no, dawg. Congrats on staying slim though, Kevin. I still haven't gotten used to non fat Smith.

Haven't seen any of the films with the daughter. But is she worse than Smith's no talent wife? When I first saw Jay and Bob Strike back I kept thinking "This one lady has to be related to someone that worked on the film. Cause she can't act." Find out the next day she was Smith's wife.

His daughter is in the Tarantino Manson movie. Another reason why I'm probably going to dislike it. It seems like everyone with a shitty Manson flick is cashing in (yawn), a shame they're not picking up on the significant Bruceploitation element and putting out some choice sets dedicated to those flicks instead.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Ringeisen View Post
    Kevin Smith, some of his movies I don't like, but, I do like some of his films. This 2019, "Reboot" film, I know I'll give it a go, maybe not in the theatre, but, at some point. I saw the, "Strikes back" movie in 2001, and, I didn't find it a bad time. Silly humor, but, an OK time. I'm not into the super hero comic stuff, but, I still enjoy some of the humor. The ending of the 2001 "Strikes back" films was a good way to end the film, when the 2 have a lot of addresses for some folks. Oh, and can't forget the, "Ben Afflek was the bomb in Phantoms". I actually saw Phantoms in the theatre. Later on VHS or DVD, years later. Not much happens in that movie.... The funny thing is, I've seen Phantoms twice, but I only saw the, "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" movie once.

I saw Tusk, and I didn't care for that. It was boring. I haven't really paid much attention to what he's done in the past 10 years or so, nothing has grabbed my interest, but, I'll see this at some point. I remember what I was up to 18 years ago, when I saw the, "Strikes back" movie, and I will be giving this sequel a try.

Nabonga, I haven't seen much that his daughter has been in, but, I feel if he wants to toss her in some of his own films, whatever. All I know is she was in that, "Yoga Hosers" movie. I've never seen that, and not sure I want to.

For me, Kevin Smith's best work is Mallrats. The theatrical version, which I read somewhere he did not edit that version, someone else did. Whomever edited it, did great work, as I watched the, "Director's Cut" of Mallrats, years and years ago, and, well, it wasn't too good. The other guy who edited Mallrats did a better job than Kevin. I always recommend people not watch the director's cut of that film if it is their first viewing. I had no idea who Kevin Smith was when the video store I helped out at in the 90's had a screener for Mallrats. It was just a, "Magic Eye" image on the front of the box, and the lines, "They're not there to Work, they're not there to shop, they're just, there". 1996 or so, I took that screener VHS home, not knowing what the fuck it was, however, I did like Magic Eye. I also knew, I could just shut the movie off if I did not care for it. It's not like I had to pay to rent a screener. The first lines of the movie involved a story about a guy getting a cat suck up his ass. Back then, I wondered what the fuck I just got myself into. Anyway, it led to others watching the movie with me, one guy's older brother, 20's, had to borrow it, and watch it when he watched some of the scenes. I've told a few younger people before, if they want window into what some of the 90's were like, watch Mallrats. Magic Eye was such a product of it's time. I also think about all the stuff I was doing, and up to around that time. Video stores, getting an entire video store's Turbo Grafx 16 rental inventory for almost nothing, arcades, movie theatres, mall stuff, magic eye, internet still being somewhat fresh, etc.

Anyway, due to Mallrats, I'm willing to give some of what Kevin Smith comes up with a viewing. Mallrats I have a soft spot for. Interesting to see the 2 showing their age in the trailer. I've give this sequel a go, it's gotta be better than Tusk!
    Some detailed reflections there, Dick. Genuinely interesting reading. (I mean that sincerely.) I agree about MALLRATS but I also liked CLERKS a great deal. I saw CLERKS back when it was first released to cinemas in the UK and distinctly remember the poster in the foyer of the box office. That film chimed with me greatly, as I was working in retail at the time and the dialogue - trying to fill a day by talking about all kinds of immaterial shite, to make a deeply mundane job somehow interesting - felt very much like the conversations I'd have with my work colleagues. I rewatch CLERKS every few years and it still hits me in the same way, though there's a sense of nostalgia added to it now as I look back fondly on those years - my formative teenage years, and the relative simplicity of them (compared to middle adulthood).

I was lukewarm on MALLRATS when it was released but grew to like it on video. Again, it captured something about the era, even if the 'mall culture' seen in the film hadn't translated to the UK (where I live); like you say, it offers a good window into what the mid-1990s were like, and what it meant to be a young person during that decade. There seemed to be a whole host of similar 'coming of age' movies in '95 that seemed influenced by CLERKS - including EMPIRE RECORDS, as I recall.

CHASING AMY felt like a self-indulgent attempt to capture lightning in a bottle, and JAY AND SILENT BOB seemed like a desperate attempt to capitalise on the two characters from CLERKS whose scenes I thought, when I saw CLERKS at the cinema in '94/'95(?), should have been left on the floor of the cutting room. I liked RED STATE but aside from that picture, nothing Smith has made since MALLRATS has tickled my fancy. However, when I was at university studying for my Master's degree, I remember one of my classmates offering an impassioned reading of the then-recently released DOGMA that made me want to revisit the film, though admittedly in the intervening years I've never found the time and opportunity to do that.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard