Thread: Apollo 11 (2019)

Apollo 11 (2019)

This is regoddammarkable, a whack of unearthed footage, some of it in 70mm, pieced together with a simple soundtrack and voice recordings from the film and from communications between Apollo 11 and Mission Control, that presents a comprehensive look at the first manned trip to the moon, from start to finish. The footage is cleaned up and looks pristine in many cases, making 1969 come alive in full colour with crystal clarity. It's an amazing achievement, and I found it difficult to not get emotional watching this; especially as Kennedy's speech about space travel leads to the credits.

If you haven't seen it, definitely worth checking out.

I have not heard of this. This sounds super rad.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

It actually had a theatrical run back in March, but I missed it. It's on Prime Video if you have it and want to check it out for nothing.

I do have Prime. Thanks for the heads up.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I figyeahed

APOLLO 11 is superb - it's one of the two or three best films of the year thus far. I've seen dozens of NASA docs over the years and this stands with the very best of them. It's gripping and suspenseful even though it cover familiar territory. The editing and sound design put you right there with the Astronauts and Mission control.

CNN has been showing it frequently, and it's still playing in some theaters (the best way to see it).

My strongest recommendation.