Thread: Dennis Hopper's Out Of The Blue

Dennis Hopper's Out Of The Blue

There's a kickstarter going to get this restored in 4k.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ut-of-the-blue

More info here:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/07...classic-in-4k/
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I can't believe a movie this good needs a Kickstarter to get restored. You're telling me Criterion or Arrow couldn't afford this masterpiece?
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

I havent seen this one, but IMHO Hopper was a much better director then given credit for. I would even go so far as to say that he was wildly overrated as an actor, but at the same time quite underrated as a director. (Even if his sample size is substantially smaller as director)
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

I keep wanting to see this, and then keep forgetting about it. But yeah, it's sad that it needs a kickstarter.

I've never seen it so I just bought the out of print dvd on ebay for $5. We'll see.
    Out here on the perimeter we is stoned...immaculate

Quote Originally Posted by unclefred View Post
    I've never seen it so I just bought the out of print dvd on ebay for $5. We'll see.
    For some reason, it was released a bunch of times on DVD by cheapie labels; I guess it became a PD title after Anchor Bay's rights lapsed. Not sure how or why. Do you know if you got the AB disc or one of the knock-offs? I'm pretty sure at least one of the PD releases utilized the AB transfer, only with worse compression.

I saw this on video years ago and thought nothing of it
    Hopper made some weird stuff - all that coke etc

So it looks like this sucker got funded! Great news.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    For some reason, it was released a bunch of times on DVD by cheapie labels; I guess it became a PD title after Anchor Bay's rights lapsed. Not sure how or why. Do you know if you got the AB disc or one of the knock-offs? I'm pretty sure at least one of the PD releases utilized the AB transfer, only with worse compression.
    Yeah, it's a cheapy, it looks like a crappy vhs transfer. There are some good performances but it's a 70's style, gritty blue collar film and dismal, like what was in style back then. Still, I'd bet in 4k it would be pretty good.
    Out here on the perimeter we is stoned...immaculate