Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Orange Is The New Black

Orange Is The New Black

We just finished S1.

So far it's ok. It's not blowing my mind but it's ok. Some episodes are, not so surprisingly, better than others.

I think my big issue is that Piper bugs me. I like a lot of the other characters a lot more than I like her. Granted, this is probably part of the point, I can see this becoming 'bigger' in the coming seasons, but I don't feel any real sympathy for her.

At any rate, gonna plow through Walking Dead S6 and Ash S1 and then probably come back to this on Netflix for S2.

Thoughts on this series? Worth sticking it out?
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I really liked the first season, but also wasn't big on Piper. The second season is okay. The third season pissed me off and made me not want to watch it anymore, but the fourth season was really, really good.

Sadly, though, in hindsight, nothing in the show matches the intensity of the fight that closes out season 1. That was on the edge of your chair intense.

Related to OITNB, the Australian women-in-prison show WENTWORTH is fucking phenomenal. The most recent season finale was one of the most awesome things I've ever seen on TV.

A group of us watched all 4 seasons over the course of a month.

Season 1 is good but I hate Piper.
    Season 2 is good but again I hate piper.
    Season 3 is ok.
    Season 4 is really good. And has a great ending.

The only things I know about this show is that Donna from That 70's Show is topless in an episode or two (hallelujah) and bizarrely enough it has the voice actor for Patti Mayonaise from the Nickelodeon cartoon Doug and she did not age terribly well.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    Well, I saw the whole first season and thought it was ok too. Then I kind of lost interest during S2, and watched some of S3 while the wife was watching it, but without any desire to start following it again. I also thought the latest season was the best so far. Initially I just saw bits and pieces of episodes, but after a while a sat the glued in front of the tv. One thing I must note though, is that this show, in my opinion, works A LOT better when it's trying too be funny instead of going all serious. The more sad/melodramatic moments just don't work for me.
    Looking for Orozco the Embalmer (Camera Obscura) and the Swedish theatrical poster of Breaking Point (Vibenius/"Ron Silberman Jr.", 1975).

I enjoyed season one and am looking forward to season two. Season one started out really strong and then there were a couple of crappy episodes in the middle and then it got good again at the end. I "liked" Piper a lot better in the beginning of the season, but she changed fast. Maybe that's realistic though. Every time I find myself feeling sorry for her I remember that she's very selfish and brings almost every bad thing that happens to her upon herself. I liked the end of season one though. I can't say I blame her... especially with Doggett. That character is so well played but I hate her so much!
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Quote Originally Posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
    Well, I saw the whole first season and thought it was ok too. Then I kind of lost interest during S2, and watched some of S3 while the wife was watching it, but without any desire to start following it again. I also thought the latest season was the best so far. Initially I just saw bits and pieces of episodes, but after a while a sat the glued in front of the tv. One thing I must note though, is that this show, in my opinion, works A LOT better when it's trying too be funny instead of going all serious. The more sad/melodramatic moments just don't work for me.
    Yeah, season 3 was trying to go for the whole, let's tell the sad story of these women. And I felt like I was insensitive or something, but who cares? You're in jail because your parents didn't like that you were a lesbian? It drove you to a life of crime? Fuck off. And junkies junkies junkies. Much better with humour.

Agree with Mark on the seasons and that the show is much better when it goes with the comedy rather than the drama. Can't stand the Piper/husband or Piper/woman from the 70s storylines, always drag down the episodes but apparently the lesbian audience loves it. The 'side' characters end up being of more interest than Piper and her lame gf. The flashbacks are usually really clumsy.

Poussey and Taystee are my favorite characters. And the transsexual.
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Totally agree.