Thread: Sony hap s1

Sony hap s1

I was looking on Amazon and found the Sony hap s1 which looks like exactly what I want for playing back all of my music it even plays old mp3 format which is important to me. Only thing is I don't know if there is something like this Sony product that does the same thing but cost less this one is $1,000 and it has been out over 5 years. Seems like that would make it old technology? And in 5 years it has not had a price reduction? Just seems that something more up to date might be out there so thought I'd see if anyone here knows?

I thought you had active speakers? So you don't need the added amplification of this Sony player. I think you're better off with one of the newer network/music players from Cambridge Audio or as Mark Tolch suggested, one of the Marantz models.

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/e...ucts/cx/cxn-v2

https://www.us.marantz.com/us/produc...oductId=NA6005
    "only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

I do have active speakers. I don't know much about this stuff, I will check out the links. I was trying to figure out what I'm trying to do, and I think actually what would work best is to have a small computer built to use for my movies to watch on my TV, and also to rip all my CD's to in FLAC format to listen to through some speakers. I would be able to use active speakers with a computer? There is a computer shop nearby I think I could check and see what they would charge to build me this type of PC. I do want it to be able to play 4K discs, as I do have a handful of them, and not sure if the format will take off, but would be nice to save stuff to a 128GB discs if needed. But it may be too expensive to build a 4K computer, but a hi res audio machine should not be expensive at all to build. I may even try building my own. I have not tried to build a computer in over 20 years, but I did build one a long time ago, and it was relatively cheap and easy when I did, not sure how complicated they are now, might be harder to build them now? Or easier, not sure.

Much easier to build a pc now than in the past. Take 20 minutes to watch a vid on youtube and then just start just plugging parts in. You can't really go wrong if you pay attention. As far as 4k on a computer goes, that's not a high bar to clear now. I wouldn't be surprised if there were even Raspbrerry Pis that could do that now.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.
    In preproduction: www.lovesexandrobots.com Shooting March 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Fundi View Post
    I do have active speakers. I don't know much about this stuff, I will check out the links. I was trying to figure out what I'm trying to do, and I think actually what would work best is to have a small computer built to use for my movies to watch on my TV, and also to rip all my CD's to in FLAC format to listen to through some speakers. I would be able to use active speakers with a computer? There is a computer shop nearby I think I could check and see what they would charge to build me this type of PC. I do want it to be able to play 4K discs, as I do have a handful of them, and not sure if the format will take off, but would be nice to save stuff to a 128GB discs if needed. But it may be too expensive to build a 4K computer, but a hi res audio machine should not be expensive at all to build. I may even try building my own. I have not tried to build a computer in over 20 years, but I did build one a long time ago, and it was relatively cheap and easy when I did, not sure how complicated they are now, might be harder to build them now? Or easier, not sure.
    Ok, I was confused as I thought you just wanted a simple one box source to hook up to your active speakers. Now that it seems you want a general media player to access both video and music, I would go with the given advice of building your own HTPC. The DIY route is usually the least expensive and most flexible option. I've used an HTPC in the past and a good buddy of mine still uses his home built PC with JRiver to control it and is very happy. If you don't want to fuss around with that & mostly rip discs to a NAS or external HDD then I would recommend getting a media player. I've used several Android based ones in the past including Nvidia's Shield to stream my FLAC files and movies using a Plex client. Another friend uses a Zappiti media player and one of my cousins uses a similar all in one from Zidoo. He was telling me that anyone interested might want to hold off until next year when an upgraded chipset is forthcoming from Mediatek or Realtek as they all use similar SoC now with the same capabilities but the next version should be more powerful with more features.
    "only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

thanks for the advice on holding out till next year on a android box, I have never used one of those, but they are very affordable, and cheap also! I am in no major hurry to get one, just looking at getting one in the next few months, but I can hold off for 6 months if they will be improving them. I will have to read up on Plex clients, and Zappiti media players. Dom D, I didn't know 4K was so easy to run on computers now, I have only a laptop currently, and it has major problems with 4K, it won't play 4K video files on websites that use 4K content. But I did not pay much for this laptop. 47lab, I have heard of the media software JRiver, if I go the HTPC route I will definitely check out that software, I just need to be able to play 192kb/24bit audio files at least, because I think that's the future of audio, at least of my audio purchases lol, I have a record player, which is nice, but, I think the Hi Res audio files surpass it, and I am slowly dragging myself into the 21st century lol.