Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: video editing software

video editing software

what is a good easy to use one for beginners? i have a free one but it seems to be glitchy

I recommend Adobe Premiere. Easy and you can get it for $20 a month now (or torrent it).
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

For easy I hear very good things about Filmora. Never used it myself. If you wanted free (and the best) Davinci Resolve is FREE and is a professional Editor, Colour Grader, DAW and 3d compositor. All of those in one software. It is unbelievable. The colour grading part of that software used to cost $50,000 on its own. Now it's just an add on in the Resolve package. The best deal in software. No I don't work for them.

If you're on a Mac then iMovie is fine too.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.
    In preproduction: www.lovesexandrobots.com Shooting March 2020.

i actually have a Davinci Resolve uninstalled zip folder. i installed it and maybe felt overwhelmed looking at all the features it has. maybe i can give it a try again. i have the VSDC Video Editor. another freebie. actually pretty simple to use but the edited videos come out glitchy sometimes. most likely something i am not doing correctly.

Yeah it's professional software and isn't built to be learnt intuitively. I was just mentioning it in case "easy" was a euphemism for cheap. Like I say, I do hear that filmora is very easy to use while still giving you control you'll need.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

i'm ok with buying software. just looking for recommendations, for a beginner. i've done vhs editing before with a vcr and camcorder setup. also used the more professional setup in the av room when i was in high school. i've been staying away from editing but it might come in handy for soon. i kinda like not editing tho but it is probably time for me to learn on the computer

Nero is excellent for beginners. I've been using it for more than a decade. I use Adobe Premiere when I want to get fancy but use Nero when I'm looking for quick. I also use Nero when working with converting my VHS and LaserDisc to DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    For easy I hear very good things about Filmora.
    this one is pretty easy! thinking about buying so i can get rid of the watermark.

one question: do the file sizes always get smaller after editing? i was thinking they would stay the same for what i want to do. fro now i just want a video to play in reverse. nothing else. but the file size shrinks quite a bit in filmora and davinci resolve. that seems odd to me but i am a total beginner with this

It totally depends what codecs you are outputting to. It won't stay the same size as it's an entirely new encoding. I wouldn't worry about the file size unless you feel the loss of quality.

Some codecs will reduce the file size a lot, others can increase it massively. I'm not up on the exports options in Filmora but if you check your cameras codec and export to the same one, and keep general settings the same (1920x1080p etc), you'll probably be fine.

Try to always export to MP4 so it can be easily played on just about anything.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky