Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Ric Ocasek

The Cars are one of my fave all-time bands. So many songs. Almost all penned by Ric Ocasek. But, my favorite remains "Since You're Gone" off of the Shake It Up album. I can still remember that crisp fall day in November 1981 when I picked up the then brand new Lp at Nugget's in Boston's Kenmore Square (it was a 'promo copy' - perfect except for a little skip on....."Since You're Gone". I still have that vinyl).
    What I love about "Since You're Gone" are the bitterly wry lyrics sung by Ocasek matched with a great Elliott Easton guitar hook, Orr's base lines and Hawkes' synth riffs. It's sort of an Elvis Costello or Bob Dylan song if they ever went fully New Wave pop.
    The killer line to me is: "Since you're gone, I took the big vacation". Perhaps, Ocasek was only singing about a weekend in Cabo, but, I have always felt like that "BIG VACATION" meant something much deeper, more symbolically import.
    My first spin of "Since You're Gone" since Ric passed yesterday.
    Ocasek may be gone himself, but, hardly forgotten.

Name:  since2.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  29.9 KB

Well shit add another band to my list of ones I wanted to see live and will never get to see live.

Hadn't listened to the Cars much in the past 10 years,not sure why. Then while at the library media sale found a Cars greatest hits cd for a buck sealed. And that CD hasn't left the cd player in my car in the past 3 months.

Love Since You're Gone! Also decided that my favourite song is "You're All I've Got Tonight" but I also love Tonight She Comes and Touch and Go.

The NY Times on the 70 vs 75 issue.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/17/r...casek-age.html
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I dont imagine telling people you're 40 when you're hip in the 80s is a good way to remain hip

In my previous posts on the passing of The Cars' Ric Ocasek, I failed to mention the vital input of drummer David Robinson. While The Cars' sound wasn't as drum heavy as many traditional rock bands (particularly after the first couple of albums), Robinson and bassist Ben Orr formed a mighty tight percussion backbeat, typified here on their great tune Candy-O

David Robinson definitely gets passed over with so many other prolific musicians in the band. Great drummer.