Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Some BIG news for Hammer fans!

Erm, silly misunderstanding! Oops!
    Last edited by Mike T; 06-30-2011 at 01:32 AM.

Apologies for all the edited posts, but there was a bit of misinformation circulated that all proved false. More anon.
    Last edited by Mike T; 06-30-2011 at 01:51 PM.

I'm hoping that press release is mistaken about the aspect ratio.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

There's a bit of delay between my correspondence with the distro; so we'll have to sit patient until an update.
    Last edited by Mike T; 06-30-2011 at 01:52 PM.

In other high def Hammer news, Kim Newman just posted this on his Twitter account:

"I've just done an interview for the Quatermass and the Pit BluRay special edition. Now, my flat is being used as a location."
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Well, that one we CAN be sure of, as it's coming from Optimum who have direct access to materials via what's in the vaults at Studio Canal. Don't know if this is one I'd put at high priority though as, although it IS very good Hammer, it's not really a personal favourite of mine from the studio.

I'll have another look at my Optimum DVD, one day -- problem with that one is that the soundtrack's in stereo and the balances are out of skew (dialogue drops low, you turn it up and then the music and FX track deafens you). Same with Optimum's Devil Rides Out disc. Those were funny decisions on Studio Canal's part; should've just either licenced Anchor Bay's 5.1 remixes, or gone the original soundtracks...which I'm guessing were monaural, maybe?

I just have waaaaay too many Hammer films on DVD. But none I haven't watched on disc (in other words, revisited from numerous previous viewings)! Funny that...the Hammers always get priority when they arrive. Guess that'll make Hands of the Ripper the next major watch of the coming couple of days...

It's not a personal favorite of mine either, but I still wouldn't mind getting a nice HD copy of it. I don't see it getting a US Blu-ray release any time soon.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I don't know, I must be getting old or all this online movie geekdom is getting tired? I'd never buy something, that I wasn't that fond of to begin with, just because there's now a HD version where there wasn't before. I just don't see the value in having a HD edition of something that wasn't all that to begin with. Call me crazy, but that's the way I think...

Well, I don't have it on DVD so if the BD were a good price, I like it enough that I would buy it. Simple as that. I just think there are much better Hammer films out there, but I do still enjoy this one.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Ahhh...being that you have most films known to man on home video, I just assumed you already might've had it on DVD. But don't let me sway you on my line of thinking -- has just been the way I've been leaning over the last year or more. If the film would benefit from HD = BD, if it wouldn't be all that or I'm not convinced enough or already have it in SD and wasn't thrilled = DVD, and if it personally looks like utter shit to me = no dice. I think I'm just losing that whole OCD fan-nutbag thing and coming back down to earth...