Page 7 of 67 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Some BIG news for Hammer fans!

I guess all of the naysayers out there in la-la land can quit windbagging now. My Vampire Lovers BD shipped today. Anyway, it's not like indie (and even major) labels in the US don't miss street dates all the time. Some of the nonsense I've read across the web about Shock coming up short by a couple of weeks has been nothing but hilarious! So, yeah...it's real, it exists, it's come out from the company who said they were releasing it (ie: they did have the rights) and mine has already shipped. Storm. Teacup. QED.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this one. I'm going to pick it up if it's up to par.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

And now, the news: a certain BD turned up in the mail today. Here's your basic specs...

1080i/25 (1.85) (feature runtime: 87m35s; MPEG-4 AVC encoding)*
    Dolby digital 192kbps (feature & audio commentary)
    Extras all in NTSC 480i
    All region
    BD25: Total disc size = 12.73Gb; feature file size = 11.8Gb

* the sleeve artwork lists 1080p/24, but unfortunately it's not.

Last edited by Mike T; 09-23-2011 at 12:53 AM.

Seems almost like it's upscaled. Lame.

Quote Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
    Seems almost like it's upscaled. Lame.
    Of that, I can fairly confidently say nada. It's definitely HD, as a pic from my mobile phone doesn't do the image justice. Screenshots from the actual disc will though; there's definitely more detail, and a clearly indentifiable grain structure, than my Optimum DVD. But I've lterally only had the disc in my hands for just over half an hour as of this writing, so there's still proper work to be done yet. A couple of cursory glances at the image on my PC's HD monitor aren't going to compare with seeing on our HDTV. Hence, give me some time to properly assess this...

I retract what I first said about the audio, without having listened to the entire film. It's by no means so dreadful that it renders the film unwatchable, but it does have some very unique issues that are going to be problematic for a lot of people. For me it was...irritating. I'll address the main problem with the sound in the review over the weekend, as it's too difficult to explain at this time of the morning for me while I'm tired and should be sleeping. More anon.
    Last edited by Mike T; 09-23-2011 at 03:29 PM.

Hopefully a decent release from another territory will happen sooner rather than later. I really like this movie, it deserves a solid BD release I think.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    I really like this movie, it deserves a solid BD release I think.
    So do I, so do I. It's a favourite...but this release isn't that "solid" one we were all hoping for. Apart from the 1080i HD transfer, there are some issues that might make it problematic for some, unfortunately. And dammit, I WILL do that review. People deserve fair warning/an honest appraisal (since I paid for the disc) after all the hoopla over this one getting an "Australian exclusive" release. The Aussie distros let me down, again...
    Last edited by Mike T; 09-23-2011 at 03:31 PM.

It's such a pity about the audio - as having just compared the BD against Optimum's DVD (both from an MGM master), it's really night and day in favour of the BD.
    Well, I'll get onto this much vaunted review and then forward everything on to Mon Capitan for his perusal and approval...

A little bit more (and Ian's seen some screenshots, so he knows where we're at): the Optimum DVD has a movie filesize of 3.41GB, the Shock BD has a movie filesize of 11.8GB. Comparing the two is like night and day; even though it's 1080i HD, the Shock BD slaughters its SD counterpart. But that audio...oh so awful...
    Last edited by Mike T; 09-23-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Thanks for taking a bullet for us, Michael. If it was half the price, it might be acceptable. Heck, that bd release of THE SKULL and MAN WHO COULD CHEAT DEATH have tiny tech specs and DD audio, but those were still pretty good considering the cost.