Thread: Gritty Realistic 2000s Action/Drama/Thrillers

Gritty Realistic 2000s Action/Drama/Thrillers

Just like the 70s thread, but movies released since 2000. There are so many good ones and I'm looking for recommendations and curious which ones are people's favourites. Stuff like THE DROP, OUT OF THE FURNACE, HELL OR HIGH WATER etc. I guess we could include Westerns, too, like THE PROPOSITION, SLOW WEST and THE SALVATION. Gimme some titles baby!
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

I agree about THE DROP, that is a really underrated film. Kind of obvious but I think SICARIO is a terrific film, great cast and a gripping story. The sequel is okay but pales pretty drastically to the first. DRIVE seems like another very obvious choice but it's one of my favorites of the 2000s. As far as westerns go, HOSTILES is one I'd highly recommend. Christian Bale, Wes Studi and Rosamund Pike star in this one, needless to say, terrific acting and a surprisingly emotional story.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

I watched HOSTILES for the first time last month, it's very good. The one I mentioned above, OUT OF THE FURNACE, is by the same director and it's excellent. It has an amazing cast, too: Christian Bale, Willem Dafoe, Woody Harrelson and Sam Shepard.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

One of the gritter Ive seen recently was MESSAGE FROM THE KING which is on Netflix, so I suppose I'll have to make that my first contribution to this thread.
    Last edited by The Silly Swede; 10-20-2019 at 07:40 AM.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"