Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Victim of Changes: When Favorite Bands Jump the Shark? (Prog / Classic Rock / Metal)

Quote Originally Posted by Curwen View Post
    I don't think anyone would dispute that! On the other hand, even Gilmour's sappiest pop songs are more musically graceful than:
    Speaking of albums I pretend don't exist. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Parker View Post
    Suicidal Tendencies lost me after How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can’t Even Smile Today. Once Mike started up with Infectious Grooves, ST just stopped sounding like ST, they lost that Venice Hardcore sound, got too smooth.

The Beastie Bous lost it with To The 5 Boroughs. Maybe three good tracks and the rest of the album being a political temper tantrum was just shit. MCA had his head right up his ass once he went Buddhist.
    Agreed on Suicidal. I know lots of folks who don't go past the first album, but some others who think that Lights...Camera was the turning point. I do like the song You Can't Bring Me Down, but How Will I Laugh is where I stop.

The Beastie Boys...I think that 5 Boroughs is their worst album. But I think they pulled it back together with Hot Sauce Committee, which I love.

The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion lost me around "Plastic Fang", although I thought "Acme" was a big step-down from "Now I Got Worry" (it still had some good songs). I thought maybe "Fang" was just a dud, but then it was confirmed that they lost me when I picked up "Damage". Haven't tried anything since.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    Agreed on Suicidal. I know lots of folks who don't go past the first album, but some others who think that Lights...Camera was the turning point. I do like the song You Can't Bring Me Down, but How Will I Laugh is where I stop.

The Beastie Boys...I think that 5 Boroughs is their worst album. But I think they pulled it back together with Hot Sauce Committee, which I love.
    Hot Sauce Committee was better mostly due to MCA’s health declining and not allowing him as much input, which is kinda sad, but if it made better music...

Quote Originally Posted by Curwen View Post
    Did Iron Maiden lose you at NO PRAYER FOR THE DYING or THE X FACTOR?
    Pretty sure I said this in the Maiden thread but No Prayer for the Dying to be has always been a victim of self-consciousness. It's like Harris was trying way to hard to write a more stripped-back album after the more progressive and conceptual Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son and it shows. There's a handful of quality songs, but a lot of it is just sort of "there". The X Factor has the same self-consciousness problem, just in the opposite way. A lot of The X Factor sounds like Harris trying way to hard to prove that Maiden didn't need Bruce to sound "epic". And Blaze is a fine singer in his own right, but in the grand scheme of things was probably not the best fit for Maiden. Just look at video of them playing "Sign of the Cross" and "The Clansman" from Virtual XI with Bruce and it should become immediately apparent.
    Vortice Mortale - The Lost Highway of Horror and Cult Film

Latest post: Voodoo Passion (Jess Franco, 1977)