Thread: THE DESCENT (2005/6)

THE DESCENT (2005/6)

Pretty tense thriller about an all female group of cave explorers who find out that not all creatures on earth have been discovered. British Director Neil Marshall does a good job of building suspense, showing admirable restraint.
    The full first half of the film is more about character development than shock (a couple of cheap jolts notwithstanding). The 2nd half is genuinely creepy and suspenseful. The almost all woman cast is solid throughout. So much so, that it's kind of surprising that none of them seem to have really broken out, especially Natalie Mendoza who is quite the spitfire. The ending doesn't quite work, as it's more of a cheat than it should be*. Still, this is a very good, and scary horror adventure.

* The original British cut has an alternate ending. Just from reading about it, I'm not sure it would be all that much superior. A sequel was made, but, to little notice.

The original ending is far better than the moronic American release ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Parker View Post
    The original ending is far better than the moronic American release ending.
    It's a better ending (the USA version is silly), but, still a bit of a false note. Not to mention that it works against the whole redemption of the mother's soul theme.
    Last edited by JoeS; 10-26-2019 at 05:27 PM.

Neither ending worked for me. I imported this on Region 2 DVD, to the US, years ago, as there was a lot of hype, and I did not want to wait for the US release.

The movie did not, "Wow" me. It was an OK time, some things didn't work too well, but, here is what I thought the ending would be like. I typed this on another forum, years ago.

If you are familiar with, "The Prey" (1984), and how that film ended, I thought that may be the ending to this movie, I kept thinking, "Ok, the cave creatures would need to not be so inbred, they may want to keep her around for mating purposes, even in a low-key way, such as the way, 'The Prey' ended...."

But, nope, didn't happen. That would have been a better ending.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    It's a better ending (the USA version is silly), but, still a bit of a false note. Not to mention that it works against the whole redemption of the mother's soul theme.
    That theme is a misread. The whole movie is people hiding their true thoughts and natures, and everything caused by that keeping of secrets destroying everything, and the woman who lost her child is broken into total delusion to die alone, in the dark, in the end. There is nobody getting redeemed, just people letting jealousy, insecurity and unwillingness to face reality make a bad idea into a fatal situation.

I guess, I just don't hold as nihilistic view of the character's destiny. Like I wrote, I didn't care for the U.S. ending (which, of course, set up the sequel), either. But, the British cut isn't really satisfying either