Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jean-Paul Belmondo

Quote Originally Posted by Alison Jane View Post
    I found Classe Tous Risques (BFI) and Mississippi Mermaid (Twilight Time) available on Blu-ray.
    Finally got around to ordering these.
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Watched Mississippi Mermaid the other night and loved it. I think I've loved everything so far. Still waiting for Classe Tous Risques because the first seller I ordered it from, it never arrived. Reordered so hopefully this one will show. Also ordered this! Psyched to say the least...

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  351.0 KB
    Last edited by Alison Jane; 02-17-2020 at 12:59 PM.
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Heads up! TCM is running two Belmondo films tonite. THAT MAN FROM RIO and TWO WOMEN. Haven't seen THAT MAN FROM RIO but it seems to be considered a fun Bond spoof, and Bond villain Adolfo Celi is in it too. Vittorio De Sica's TWO WOMEN is actually much more of a Sophia Loren film but Belmondo is very good in it as well. THAT MAN...starts at 6 pm and TWO WOMEN at 8 pm.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Awww... wish we had cable.

Did get Classe Tous Risques (BFI) though today!
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Quote Originally Posted by Alison Jane View Post
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  351.0 KB
    Arrived today... crushed.
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

And despite the information listing English subtitles, there are no English subtitles...
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

We watched Classe Tous Risques the other night, on Blu-ray from the BFI. Nice presentation. It's more Lino Ventura's movie than it is Belmondo's, but he's very good in his substantial role - likable, charming, periodically almost comical, while Ventura is grim and serious the entire time (which makes total sense given their respective character arcs). Anyway, it's a very solid crime film with some unexpected twists in it that I think will take most first time viewers by surprise. It is, like most black and white French crime films from the sixties, impossibly and effortlessly cool, and it's easy to let that sense of cool overwhelm the plot, but the plot is a solid one.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Watched Magnet Of Doom last night via a crummy download only to then find out it was on the Criterion Channel. Oops. Anywa, not Belmondo or Melville's best film by any stretch but it's kind of a noirish road movie and it held my attention well enough. Belmondo is good in it, a charming asshole, really, but the score in this is not good and takes away from it. It was nice to see some NYC footage and a lot of the film feels like a bit of a 'we're on vacation in the USA!' movie but if it lacks the brooding intensity of Melville's best work it is at least an entertaining diversion.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Belmondo is good in it, a charming asshole, really...
    Haha, yes. That's what he does best!

The beginning was a bit dull but I got into it in the second half. It was neat seeing 1960s NYC. And the sort of twist ending came as a surprise which is always nice.
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Watched Une Femme Es Une Femme last night.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055572/

Quirky as Hell, haha. It's an odd one. Belmondo's role is more of a supporting part but he's good in it. Karina is the more impressive actor in the picture, she can be annoying and charming and weird and sympathetic all at the same time, which I guess is part of the point. Not my favorite Godard film but weird enough to work. It's certainly stylish and weird, Godard clearly experimenting here. Some of the comedy works, some of it falls flat and feels repetitive. It is loaded to reference to other movies, including some of Godard and Belmondo's own work together. It also features what I would assume is the most wholesome strip club on the planet.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!