Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jean-Paul Belmondo

Will be going through all of these recommendations tomorrow! Keep them coming!
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Quote Originally Posted by George Barry View Post
    I enjoyed the above films. They are both directed by Henri Verneuil, who directed Belmondo in six (or so) movies over twenty plus years. I liked The Burglars a bit more, perhaps because of Nicole Calfan and her wonderful gap toothed smile. Omar Sharif is very good in this. No Doctor Zhivago* here.

* That's not to say I don't like Omar Sharif as Doctor Zhivago. Just to say Sharif's character has a somewhat different attitude here.

Henri Verneuil's THE SICILIAN CLAN is such a cool film.

As far as Belmondo goes, I also really like THE NIGHT CALLER and THE BURGLARS. The latter has a terrific Morricone score too!

Edit - Actually, I just recalled that Morricone also scored THE NIGHT CALLER, though I don't think it's as good as THE BURGLARS.
    Last edited by Andrew Monroe; 11-16-2019 at 06:44 PM.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

I found Classe Tous Risques (BFI) and Mississippi Mermaid (Twilight Time) available on Blu-ray. Nobody has mentioned Léon Morin, prêtre which is also available on Blu-ray from Kino. Any seen/can recommend that?
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

I've always stayed away from that one because he plays a priest and priests in movies bore me unless they're being tortured and degraded by Satan.

In other words, I'm shallow.

Finally got around to watching Pierrot Le Fou last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. He and Anna Karina have that right kind of chemistry that, even when nothing is really happening, you want to keep watching them. The ending took me by surprise as well. Like most Goddard, it's needlessly artsy at times, but maybe better for it, certainly not worse. Lots of style here, some good humor and a whole lot of charisma.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Alison Jane View Post
    I found Classe Tous Risques (BFI) and Mississippi Mermaid (Twilight Time) available on Blu-ray. Nobody has mentioned Léon Morin, prêtre which is also available on Blu-ray from Kino. Any seen/can recommend that?
    I really like LEON MORIN, PRETRE. It's got a similar intensity to Belmondo and Melville's work on LE DOULOS and some great photography. Emmanuelle Riva is the centre of the film but Belmondo delivers one of his best performances.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    I really like LEON MORIN, PRETRE. It's got a similar intensity to Belmondo and Melville's work on LE DOULOS and some great photography. Emmanuelle Riva is the centre of the film but Belmondo delivers one of his best performances.
    Sounds good to me. Ordered.
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    Watched this yesterday and actually wound up really loving it. Way different than any other Melville film that I've seen in terms of style but style beautifully shot and visually impressive. Riva is just as good as Belmondo, if not better in some ways, but he's truly great here too. Without spoiling things for those who haven't seen it, that seen towards the end in the bedroom really got to me, almost made me a little teary eyed I'm not ashamed to say. I found it a very moving film.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I really enjoyed it, too. Considering many of the European films we watch end up going the sleazy route I was really happy with the ending of this. Even though not a lot was going on, the dialogue and emotion made it pretty fascinating.
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

PS... more recommendations!
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!